[Archivesspace_Users_Group] API Querying of Names

Alexander Duryee alexanderduryee at nypl.org
Mon Apr 27 17:24:49 EDT 2015

We're developing a migration tool to import records from our database into
ArchivesSpace via the API.  For each controlled access name in each
collection, our tool needs to know if a name record exists in
ArchivesSpace, and if so, query its ID in order to build the
collection-name link.  However, the only method that I've found to discover
agent/family/corp records (knowing only the type and title string) via the
API is GET /search/.

Using GET /search/ for discovering name records is proving unwieldy, as
there is a long delay (~30 seconds on localhost) between POSTing a new name
record and having it return in the index.  When generating many records at
once, this leads to frequent false negatives.  It also makes for slow
discovery, as a full search query has to be run, then some number of the
results iterated through, for every name.

Is there a more direct way to query ArchivesSpace for name records, ideally
bypassing search altogether?  If not, how are other API users developing
methods to match name records to ArchivesSpace objects?

Many thanks,
--Alex

--
Alexander Duryee