[Archivesspace_Users_Group] Customizing advanced search?

Noah Huffman noah.huffman at duke.edu
Thu Apr 9 12:02:18 EDT 2015

Hi all,

I've been trying to tweak the advanced search functionality in the staff interface through a local plugin and had some questions.

1.       I've successfully added some user-defined fields to the advanced search dropdowns by adding a search_definitions.rb file to archivesspace\plugins\local.  However, nothing I search for in the added fields yields any results.  Is there something else I need to do to index these added fields?

2.       When adding a controlled value (enum) field to the search dropdowns, is it necessary to also provide translations for every single value in the controlled value list to the locales\enums\en.yml file?  It seems that if I don't specify a translation here for every single controlled value term, those terms appear in the advanced search drop-down like this: "translation missing: en.enumerations.user_defined_enum_1.[name of controlled value term]".   Is this the intended behavior?  If so, it seems like a real pain to have to keep your controlled value lists and your en.yml file in sync all the time.  For example, every time I add a value to a user-defined controlled value list in the application, I then have to add an entry for that term in en.yml like "My Name: My Name" and restart the application.  If I don't, I get the "translation missing" error in the advanced search drop-down.

Thanks for any help or clarification.

-Noah
Noah Huffman
Archivist for Metadata and Encoding
David M. Rubenstein Rare Book & Manuscript Library
Duke University