[Archivesspace_Users_Group] Repository usage

Angela Kroeger akroeger at unomaha.edu
Mon Apr 6 14:47:23 EDT 2015

Hi, Megan,

We use a sort of hybrid approach with repositories and classifications.

We have two repositories, and the reason for this relates to the origin of the metadata in each of them. One was populated via import data from Archivists Toolkit. The other was populated from an Excel spreadsheet. From an organizational standpoint, they were structured so differently that we didn't want to mix them in the same repository.

Within the repository that started life as a spreadsheet, we use classifications to distinguish between three different collecting areas (different units within our department).

If the finding aids of your three administrative units are presently mingled in Archivists Toolkit, Archon, or some other shared system, they may migrate well into a single repository. If your units have significantly different metadata practices, you might consider different repositories.

Hope that helps!

--Angela

Angela Kroeger
akroeger at unomaha.edu
Archives and Special Collections Associate
Dr. C.C. and Mabel L. Criss Library
University of Nebraska at Omaha