[Archivesspace_Users_Group] Parallel Expressions in Extents

Joshua D. Shaw Joshua.D.Shaw at dartmouth.edu
Thu Apr 2 09:59:27 EDT 2015

Hi Maura-

I should have been a bit clearer in my first post. The problem that I see is that when you have one or more parallel expressions of extent there's no obvious way to enter what are otherwise legal DACS extent expressions. The best example I can come up with is:

1 transcript (782 pages)
10 boxes (15 linear ft.)

There's no container in the transcript expression, nor is there a dimension or physical detail specified. That leaves us with two parallel extents statements: a) 1 transcript & b) 782 pages. It appears that we would have to enter these as two separate extent instances in AS. Now that's fine if there are only these two statements and we mark both as "whole" for the portion. However, what happens when you mix in the other extent expression: 10 boxes (15 linear ft.)? There is no way to link the extents that are parallel expressions since you would essentially have something like:

Extent 1: Portion, 1, transcript
Extent 2: Portion, 782, pages
Extent 3: Portion, 15, linear ft. with "container summary" set to: 25 boxes

Its impossible (at least from a scripting perspective and hence MARC export) to be certain that Extent 1 & Extent 2 are parallel expressions. Does that explain the issue more? I'm hoping I'm missing something simple!

Thanks!
Joshua