[Archivesspace_Users_Group] EAD Import questions

Custer, Mark mark.custer at yale.edu
Tue Oct 7 15:12:38 EDT 2014

Hi, all.

Interesting stuff, Patrick.  I haven't had a chance to test out the new release candidate, but I hope to do that later this week.

I should note, though, that I was somewhat mistaken in my previous comment when I said that there was no way to group instances any longer.  You can group the container elements if you rely on the @label attribute, which *should* only occur at the beginning of each container group.  This practice depends on the EAD always being serialized in the correct document order, however, so this process is definitely not as fool proof as using the @id and @parent attributes, which follows the AT model (and the examples in the EAD 2002 tag library).   I didn't  think about using @label earlier, but I later realized that that's how the ArchivesSpace XSLT style sheets performs the container grouping (here's a snippet from one of those style sheets:  <xsl:for-each-group select="ead:did/ead:container" group-starting-with=".[@label]">).  I'd certainly not prefer to rely upon the document order, though, if at all possible.  Plus, IDs are much cooler!

All of that said, even though the AT could export these container groups correctly, you could not import those groups back into the AT database -- which, once again, essentially negated the option to assign multiple instances to a single level of description if you ever needed to export and re-import your data!  I hope that ArchivesSpace will also fix this glaring issue, since I would definitely like to encourage the local practice of assigning multiple instances to a single level of description when appropriate (rather than describing things in multiple places in the finding aid, if the description really doesn't warrant that duplication).

Mark