[Archivesspace_Users_Group] Linking location data to containers

Brad Westbrook brad.westbrook at lyrasis.org
Thu Jun 19 13:38:45 EDT 2014

Hi, Sibyl,

I will need to discuss with the User Advisory Council and Chris F., but if we hold to our plan to address import / exports and reporting systematically, then we will not be able to address location revisions before early in the Fall.  Of course, we, and particularly some of the persons on this thread, could start drafting and refining a specification, much as Ben suggested, I believe.

Archivists' Toolkit and ArchivesSpace both share a similar model:

·         An instance declaration leads to a container record or digital object record

·         The container record reflects a three part hierarchy (e.g., box > folder > item), of which only the first (outer most container) is required

·         The container record can then be linked to a location record.

The bit difference between AT and ArchivesSpace currently is how the container is linked to a location.  In AT it is done using the Location Management function in which only the primary container is linked to a location:

[cid:image003.jpg at 01CF8BC3.8737FA30]

Whereas in ArchivesSpace there is not a similar location management function and, thus, each container record is assigned a location:

[cid:image005.jpg at 01CF8BC3.8737FA30]

Adding to ArchivesSpace a location management function like that in the AT  would likely make location management much more efficient in ArchivesSpace.  But what else is needed or wanted?  Are the "group" boxes Kate describes accommodated?

BTW, both the AT and ArchivesSpace model support barcodes for containers and barcodes for locations, and ArchivesSpace supports distinguishing current and previous location assignments.

Cheers,

Brad