[Archivesspace_Users_Group] Locations: "Temporary" field

Kate Tasker ktasker at library.berkeley.edu
Tue Jul 8 17:31:40 EDT 2014

Hi All,

I'm looking for some guidance on the use of the "Temporary" field in a
Location record. It is a non-required field and has four optional values in
the drop-down menu (Conservation, Exhibit, Loan, Reading Room).
Interestingly, it seems to become a required field when adding a Location
to an Instance and setting the Location status to "Previous".

We would like to record historic ("Previous") locations for some Instances,
but receive this error message if the linked Location does not have data in
the "Temporary" field:

*"Status - cannot be previous if Location is not temporary"*

The four values in the location_temporary controlled value list are fixed
and cannot be modified, and we have locations that don't really fit under
any of those four types. Is anyone else experiencing a similar situation?

Would it be possible to make the location_temporary list editable, or to
allow a "Previous" status without a "Temporary" value?

Thanks for your thoughts,

Kate

Kate Tasker
Digital Archivist