[Archivesspace_Users_Group] Problems exporting EAD with non-ASCII characters

Kate Tasker ktasker at library.berkeley.edu
Wed Aug 20 17:37:33 EDT 2014

Dear List,

Has anyone had any success with exporting EAD when component titles include
diacritical marks (non-ASCII characters like é or ö)?

We are trying to export the EAD for a finding aid with about 30 diacritical
marks, but the export crashes as soon as it encounters one of these
characters. The characters were entered directly into ASpace using alt
codes (for example ALT 148). We have also tried using the Windows character
map to copy and paste the characters.

I tested this in our sandbox and was able to successfully export EAD, but
we are not able to export from our production version.

There's a related Pivotal Tracker story here:
https://www.pivotaltracker.com/s/projects/386247/stories/72522748

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

-Kate

Kate Tasker
Digital Collections Archivist
The Bancroft Library