[Archivesspace_Users_Group] Order of Subject Terms in Exported EAD and MARC

Kate Tasker ktasker at library.berkeley.edu
Mon Aug 4 17:14:26 EDT 2014

Hello All,

Would anyone be able to shed light on some odd behavior we're encountering
with subject term headings and subdivisions?

We created a new test subject record with two terms: Bugs (topical) and
California (geographic). The linked subject in the Resource Record displays
as Bugs--California, and we want the main heading to be topical with a
geographic subdivision. However, when we export the EAD, it's encoded as
<geogname source="local">California -- bugs</geogname>. I'm puzzled as to
why the terms were reversed, and why the capital B changed to a lowercase
in the word Bugs.

The MARC export separates this heading as a geographic term, too:

<datafield ind1=" " ind2="7" tag="651">
<subfield code="a">California</subfield>
<subfield code="x">bugs</subfield>
<subfield code="2">local</subfield>

Curiously, we had previously linked a similar subject record to the same
Resource, using the terms Entomology (topical) and California (geographic),
which displays as Entomology--California and exports as  <subject
source="lcsh">Entomology -- California</subject>.

Is there a bug with our Bugs? (Or might this be an issue with our local
pest control techniques?)

Thank you for any help or suggestions!

-Kate

Kate Tasker