[Archivesspace_member_reps] ArchivesSpace updates and next steps

Laurie Arp laurie.arp at lyrasis.org
Sun Oct 23 15:14:36 EDT 2016

Greetings,

On behalf of the ArchivesSpace Organizational Home Team at LYRASIS, I wanted to update you on a number of significant announcements within the ArchivesSpace program. We thought it would be helpful to summarize where things are and provide the overall plan for the near future so you have a good picture of our roadmap in one email.

HM Development Partner
We are pleased to have Hudson Molonglo (HM) http://hudsonmolonglo.com/ as a development partner. For the next year, HM will work on bug fixes, stack improvements, new feature development and the creation of a development road map.   They will be providing support to address high priority development needs while the new technical lead works with the ArchivesSpace community on code contributions from within. This two-pronged approach will have a substantial, positive short- and long-term impact on the software.  HM's work will follow the path as outlined in the ArchivesSpace development catalog and/or as prioritized by the ArchivesSpace Prioritization sub team. https://archivesspace.atlassian.net/wiki/display/AC/Development+Prioritization+sub-team

Technical Advisory Committee (TAC)/User Advisory Committee (UAC)
The TAC and UAC continue to thrive and provide opportunities for individuals from member institutions to participate and help advance the software.  HM will be working with both Councils and in particular the Technical Advisory Committee (TAC) and its sub-teams.

Technical Lead
The search for the new Technical Lead is well underway.  This position will be responsible for the overall development of the software and will work to engage a broader set of developers to participate in the program, providing technical guidance, support and leadership to create a robust developer community.   We have received numerous applications for the position and have started the review process and initial interviews.

Program Manager
As announced last week, Brad Westbrook will soon step down as the ArchivesSpace inaugural Program Manager, after three years of outstanding service.  His last day as full-time Program Manager will be November 30. We have initiated the search for a new Program Manager and will be posting the position announcement soon. The Program Manager is central to the success of the program, working closely and collaboratively with the ArchivesSpace community, advisory groups, and Board to develop strategy and goals. The Program Manager will be involved in all aspects of the program, and will be a key spokesperson and advocate for the program.  We will be seeking someone with strong experience with archives, technology projects, software development and in building consensus across a diverse group of perspectives.

Conducting searches for the Technical Lead and Program Manager at the same time allows us the opportunity to think more broadly about the program's needs, with an eye toward hiring for those needs in a more comprehensive way.

The LYRASIS Org. Home looks forward to working together with the ArchivesSpace community-including its members, the program team, the Governance Board, TAC/UAC, and HM-to continue to advance ArchivesSpace.

Best wishes,

Laurie Gemmill Arp
Director, Collections Services & Community Supported Software
laurie.arp at lyrasis.org<mailto:laurie.arp at lyrasis.org>
800.999.8558 x 2908
Fax: 404.592.4804
laurie.gemmill1 Skype

[cid:D9C43C04-DF4E-467C-B0BC-358EF417F998]
Check lyrasisnow.org<http://www.lyrasisnow.org/> for up-to-date news and feature articles.