[Archivesspace_member_reps] Voting Opened for ArchivesSpace User Stories

Brad Westbrook brad.westbrook at lyrasis.org
Thu Apr 30 07:59:10 EDT 2015

Dear ArchivesSpace Member Representatives:
We are very pleased to invite your assistance in prioritizing development work for version 2.0 by voting on issues already identified in JIRA (the issue tracker that we are now using and that has replaced Pivotal Tracker). With this invitation, we would like to introduce you to the voting process, provide a few references to helpful resources, and open the first round of voting that will run through May.
What are we voting on?
At the end of 2014, we reviewed your feedback, including but not limited to open tickets, reports submitted by member organizations such as Harvard University, University of Houston, University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign, and Yale University, and member emails sent to the Users Group listserv and to program staff directly. At the beginning of 2015, all outstanding issues were moved to JIRA, where they are now grouped under the 22 categories, or "epics", listed on the ArchivesSpace Roadmap<https://archivesspace.atlassian.net/wiki/display/ADC/Road+Map> page.
Voting will be conducted in two iterations.  The first iteration will be for all the user stories contained in Group 1<https://archivesspace.atlassian.net/browse/AR-1199?jql=project%20%3D%20AR%20AND%20resolution%20%3D%20Unresolved%20and%20type!%3Dtask%20and%20type!%3Dsub-task%20and%20labels!%3Dreports%20and%20labels%20!%3Dchores%20and%20labels!%3Ddocumentation%20and%20labels!%3Dintegration%20and%20labels!%3Dpublic_interface%20and%20labels%20!%3D%20staff_interface%20and%20labels!%3Drights_management%20and%20labels%20!%3DPlugins%20and%20labels%20!%3D%20digital_objects> (118 user stories, number subject to change).  Group one contains user stories belonging to the following epics:  Accessions, Agents, Application Management, Classifications, Collection Management, Dates, , Events, Extents, Imports, Exports, Locations, , Resources, and Subjects.
Please note that user stories belonging to the Reports epic are being omitted from voting as we expect that work to be completed by the end of June.

Your feedback will inform the subsequent review processes that the development team and the features prioritization and testing sub-group will undertake in order to identify an achievable scope of development for the remainder of calendar year 2015 and that will result in a version 2.0 release. Other considerations that will influence further prioritization include dependency of the work across different sections of the application, importance of the work in enabling implementation and data migration by members, and the requirement that the work be distributed evenly amongst the three program developers, each of whom has responsibility for a different area of the application.

What should I vote for?
We ask that you vote only for issues you consider crucial to your implementation of ArchivesSpace during the next six months.
Each member organization will have one vote for each issue.  Consequently, we suggest that you discuss the relationship between the development issues and your institutional priorities with your colleagues before casting your vote.

How can I get ready to vote?
To prepare for voting, please familiarize yourself with JIRA and the following resources:

*         How to read a JIRA issue record<https://archivesspace.atlassian.net/wiki/display/ADC/How+to+read+a+JIRA+issue+record>

*         Glossaries<https://archivesspace.atlassian.net/wiki/display/ADC/Glossaries> of terminology specific to our use of JIRA

*         How to vote<https://archivesspace.atlassian.net/wiki/display/ADC/How+to+vote+on+an+issue> in JIRA

When will voting happen?
The first round of voting is now open for user stories compiled in Group 1<https://archivesspace.atlassian.net/browse/AR-1199?jql=project%20%3D%20AR%20AND%20resolution%20%3D%20Unresolved%20and%20type!%3Dtask%20and%20type!%3Dsub-task%20and%20labels!%3Dreports%20and%20labels%20!%3Dchores%20and%20labels!%3Ddocumentation%20and%20labels!%3Dintegration%20and%20labels!%3Dpublic_interface%20and%20labels%20!%3D%20staff_interface%20and%20labels!%3Drights_management%20and%20labels%20!%3DPlugins%20and%20labels%20!%3D%20digital_objects>.  We request that you cast your votes on or before May 31.
As noted above, voting on user stories is an iterative process.  Voting on Group 1 stories will be followed by additional rounds of voting on different sets of issues.

Thank you in advance for your participation. Be sure to ask Christine (christine.dibella at lyrasis.org) or me if you have any questions about this process.

Brad W.

Bradley D. Westbrook
Program Manager