[nfais-l] Open Discovery Initiative Survey (NISO)

jilloneill at nfais.org jilloneill at nfais.org
Thu Sep 27 16:27:44 EDT 2012

Open Discovery Initiative Survey closes October 4, 2012 - please respond to it if you haven't already!

The Open Discovery Initiative (ODI), a working group of the National Information Standards Organization (NISO), has been formed to develop a Recommended Practice related to the index-based discovery services for libraries. ODI aims to investigate and improve the ecosystem surrounding these discovery services, with a goal of broader participation of content providers and increased transparency to libraries.

An important component of our work involves gathering information from the key stakeholders: libraries, content providers, and developers of discovery products.

If you are involved in discovery services we request that you respond to our survey. The survey results will provide essential information to the workgroup as it develops recommended practices related to discovery services. A full report on the findings of this survey will be made available publically on the NISO website later this year.

We are especially interested in input from:

• libraries that have implemented or plan to implement a discovery service and
• organizations that potentially contribute content to one or more of these services:
o   primary publishers,
o   producers of aggregated databases of citation or full-text content for libraries, and
o   creators of abstracting and indexing services.

We anticipate that the survey will take about 20 minutes to complete.[https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/QBXZXSB] https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/QBXZXSB

All respondents that identify themselves will be entered into a drawing for one of six $25 Amazon e-gift cards, kindly sponsored by Ex Libris and SAGE. These respondents will also receive a copy of the aggregated results. Note that any results shared will be anonymous and only aggregate data will be released.

Thank you
NISO ODI Working Group
[mailto:opendiscoveryinfo at list.niso.org] opendiscoveryinfo at list.niso.org