[nfais-l] NFAIS Members Invited to Attend

Jill O'Neill jilloneill at nfais.org
Tue Mar 29 16:24:11 EDT 2011

NFAIS members are invited to attend a two hour session sponsored by
Copyright Clearance Center in the Washington DC area in May of this year.
For further details, see below:

***Text***

 We'd like to extend this invitation to our fellow NFAIS members. It is a
two-hour morning session, so I think that's mostly of potential interest for
those more local to the DC Beltway. Please contact Craig Sender
<mailto:csender at copyright.com>  for RSVP's. Hope to see you there! /Dave
Davis

<http://www.copyright.com/content/cc3/en/toolbar/aboutUs/eventsAndTradeshows
/seminars/copyright_commerce.html>
http://www.copyright.com/content/cc3/en/toolbar/aboutUs/eventsAndTradeshows/
seminars/copyright_commerce.html

(Shorter URL:  <http://bit.ly/htsZUG> http://bit.ly/htsZUG)

Copyright & Commerce: Guarantees or Promises?

In 2011, the creative economy enjoys a place of prominence on the national
agenda. Compelling ideas and engaging media generate more jobs and more
wealth than ever before. From breaking news to breakthroughs in science,
from blockbuster films to bloggers in basements, the value of intellectual
property is paramount.

Yet online, digital files and their copies can be made and distributed with
a single click. Authors, creators and publishers must struggle to assert
ownership of their works on the Internet while Congress shapes laws and
regulations that affect intellectual property. Simply put, copyright laws
can significantly impact how copyright owners and users interact. Is it time
for a re-boot of our nation's copyright laws? Or should government just get
booted out of the way?

Katharine Weymouth, publisher of the Washington Post and CEO of Washington
Post Media; Marybeth Peters, U.S. Register of Copyrights from 1994 to 2010;
and Jon Baumgarten, one of the country's most respected intellectual
property lawyers and a partner in the Washington, DC office of Proskauer,
will offer their answers and insights at an invitation-only event presented
by the non-profit Copyright Clearance Center.

The occasion marks the 35th anniversary of the Copyright Act of 1976, when
Congress took into account how television, radio, sound recordings, and
other then cutting edge innovations like the photocopier had wrought
unimaginable change since the previous legislation was written - in 1909!
Today, new questions and challenges arise almost daily: Are search engines
like Google and content benefiting from the labor and investment of others?
Are copyright owners pushing for too much control over the use of their
content? Is copyright law ever going to catch up with technology and should
it?

Join us at  <http://www.newseum.org/> The Newseum at 555 Pennsylvania Ave.,
N.W. in its Knight Studio on Monday, May 9 from 10:00 a.m. - Noon. Enter at
the Group Entrance on C Street. Complimentary breakfast will be served. To
RSVP for this free event, contact
<mailto:csender at copyright.com?subject=RSVP:%20Copyright%20and%20Commerce>
Craig Sender.

Jill O'Neill