[nfais-l] ALA Conference Grant Established

Bonnie Lawlor blawlor at nfais.org
Thu Mar 24 15:35:33 EDT 2011

Posted on Behalf of NFAIS Member Organization, Unlimited Priorities
Corporation.

Robert F. Asleson Memorial ALA Conference Grant Established

Cape Coral, FL, March 24, 2011 - Iris L. Hanney, information industry
veteran and president of  <http://www.unlimitedpriorities.com/> Unlimited
Priorities Corporation, has announced the formation of the
<http://www.aslesongrant.org/> Robert F. Asleson Memorial ALA Conference
Grant. The grant honors the memory of Bob Asleson, late founder and
president of The Redalen Group, for his many valuable contributions to the
library community. Annual monetary awards will subsidize attendance at
either the American Library Association Midwinter Meeting or the Annual
Conference.

Candidates for the Master of Library Science degree candidates are eligible
to apply for the grant and successful students will be selected based on
economic need and the quality of an essay written according to criteria set
by the grant's board of directors. Ms. Hanney will serve as president of the
board, which consists of individuals with deep ties to both Bob Asleson and
the information community.

Robert Freeman Asleson - "Bob A." to his friends and colleagues - was one of
the most creative and enterprising executives in the information industry.
An engineer, lawyer, publishing CEO, advisor and guide to countless members
of the profession, Bob's 50-year career spanned both traditional and
innovative technologies, from reference books and microform to CD-ROMs  and
to online databases.  Bob held presidential positions with  R.R. Bowker of
the Xerox Publishing Group, Information Handling Services, International
Thomson Information, Inc. and The Library Corporation. He became chairman of
Paratext in 2002, and also was president of The Redalen Group, a private
consulting practice having projects and partnerships with a number of
information companies.  Additionally, Bob served on many information
industry organization boards.

This award is particularly appropriate as Bob was present at virtually every
ALA conference from the mid-1960s through 2008.  He regarded conferences as
opportunities to connect with people - both established colleagues and new
acquaintances - and to be exposed to the latest ideas and industry
developments.  It was said of him that "He never met a trade show he didn't
like." This award will help provide the same exposure and experience for the
selected students as they prepare for their careers in Library Science.

In announcing the grant Ms. Hanney said, "Bob was one of my first bosses and
remained my mentor throughout all the subsequent years.  I am thrilled that
his memory will continue to be honored by this award, and I am extremely
pleased that the ALA is providing support by listing the award recipients on
the ALA website."

Jay Jordan, president and CEO, OCLC <http://www.oclc.org/> , and advisor to
the board, observed, "This is a fitting way to remember this giant of the
industry.  Bob touched countless lives during his long career, and this
award will continue to provide support for future members of the industry he
loved."

Speaking for the Asleson family Bob's daughter, Robyn Des Roches, responded,
"Thank you to everyone involved for their diligent work in creating this
grant.  I know my dad would be deeply honored and grateful.  So are all of
us in the family."

The board of directors is seeking both corporate and individual donations in
support of this project. It believes that exposure to the programs,
seminars, contacts and other conference benefits will foster an on-going
love of, and dedication to, the cause of librarianship in students who
otherwise would be unable to attend, reflecting the values exhibited by Bob
Asleson throughout his life and long professional career.

Complete details of the grant, including information on donation
participation, are available on the website <http://www.aslesongrant.org/> .
Several levels of support are indicated, and all donations are fully
tax-deductible.  Additional information may be obtained by contacting:

Iris L. Hanney, Chairman of the Board

Robert F. Asleson Memorial ALA Conference Grant

1930 SW 48th Lane

Cape Coral, FL 33914

239-549-2384

239-549-3168 Fax