[nfais-l] Information on Discovery Services

Jill O'Neill jilloneill at nfais.org
Thu Sep 16 09:21:14 EDT 2010

NFAIS members may wish to be aware of a recent piece on the topic of
open-source and proprietary Discovery Services:

>From the UK organization, CILIP Cataloging and Indexing Group:

http://communities.cilip.org.uk/blogs/catalogueandindex/archive/2010/09/07/d
iscovery-interfaces-next-generation.aspx

Not surprisingly, NFAIS member organizations EBSCO, Serials Solutions, and
OCLC all get a mention in this useful round-up of available options, but
there are more than a dozen others that get mentioned.

>From Stephen Arnold whose blog entry raised the visibility of CILIP's list
for me: These interfaces in many ways are similar to traditional Online
Public Access Catalog Services but they go a step further and offer users
some notable enhancements. The article notes the products "provide modern
web interfaces that can compete with commercial offerings such as
<http://www.amazon.com/> Amazon and the  <http://www.bbc.co.uk/> BBC." A few
extra additions are improved visual presentation and additional options
besides those included in the local catalogue. Many of the listed product
systems help to improve the search and find capabilities of library systems
which in turn give users access to a larger and more detailed pool of
information. "Finding a needle in a haystack" seems to have gotten a little
easier for researchers.

http://arnoldit.com/wordpress/2010/09/15/discovery-interfaces-the-next-gener
ation/

Jill O'Neill