[MDL] FW: Opportunity to Invest in OA: LYRASIS United Nations Sustainable Development Goals Ebook Fund

Maryland Digital Library mdl at lyrasis.org
Fri Oct 1 10:55:48 EDT 2021

From: lyroffers-bounces at lyralists.lyrasis.org <lyroffers-bounces at lyralists.lyrasis.org> On Behalf Of Jill Grogg
Sent: Friday, October 1, 2021 10:48 AM
To: lyroffers at lyralists.lyrasis.org
Subject: [Lyroffers] Opportunity to Invest in OA: LYRASIS United Nations Sustainable Development Goals Ebook Fund

[cid:image001.png at 01D7B6A9.58495C50]

Opportunity to Invest in OA:  LYRASIS United Nations Sustainable Development Goals Ebook Fund

In 2021, LYRASIS successfully launched the LYRASIS United Nations Sustainable Development Goals Ebook Fund<https://www.lyrasis.org/content/Pages/product-details.aspx?pid=6D826BB2-7440-EB11-80ED-00155DE5EC03>. This fund supports Open Access (OA) ebook publishing on topics that align with the with the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs)<https://sdgs.un.org/goals>. The Goals are an urgent call to action for all countries to address global challenges and ensure peace and prosperity for all people and our planet into the future.

With the financial support of member libraries, to date, we have fully funded the following five forthcoming OA titles published by Springer Nature, and we are in the process of funding a sixth title from Springer Nature:

  *   A Climate of Justice: An Ethical Foundation for Environmentalism, Marvin T. Brown, University of San Francisco, US (November 2021)
  *   Police Code of Silence in Times of Change, Kutnjak Ivkovic et al., Michigan State University, US (January 2022)
  *   Equity Policies in Global Higher Education, Orlanda Tavares et al., University of Porto, Portugal (February 2022)
  *   Towards Gender Equality in Law, Gizem Guney et al., University of Portsmouth, UK (February 2022)
  *   Education for Sustaining Peace through Historical Memory, Markus Schultze-Kraft, Georg Eckert Institute for International Textbook Research, Germany (January 2022)

We selected these titles from the available forthcoming publications and based our choices on the potential for broad appeal for use in undergraduate teaching curricula. A review of books appearing on course syllabi at the Open Syllabus<https://opensyllabus.org/> project reveals many books on UN SDG topics in use for course readings, but only a small number of titles appear to be published in Open Access so far. We would like to increase OA book content on these topics.

Additionally, we are expanding to other publishers that have signed the UN SDG Publisher Compact<https://www.un.org/sustainabledevelopment/sdg-publishers-compact/>. Our work with Springer Nature was recently highlighted for their SDG Impact Festival here: https://twitter.com/SpringerNature/status/1441009557145333761.

LYRASIS is continuing to collect funds to publish forthcoming OA ebooks that align with at least one or more of the following five SDGs:

  *   SDG5: Gender and Equality
  *   SDG9: Industry, Innovation, and Infrastructure
  *   SDG12: Responsible Consumption and Production
  *   SDG13: Climate Change
  *   SDG16: Peace, Justice, and Strong Institutions

At this time, we would like to seek your financial support to continue the program for 2022. Thus far, the costs to publish shorter form OA titles are approximately $7,500 and longer form titles are approximately $13,500. If possible, we request a minimum contribution of $200, but we appreciate all contributions of any size.

One of our bedrock values at LYRASIS is that we can accomplish more together than alone and can empower one another to facilitate significant and sustainable change. If you have funds available and would like to provide support for the LYRASIS United Nations Sustainable Development Goals Ebook Fund<https://www.lyrasis.org/content/Pages/product-details.aspx?pid=6D826BB2-7440-EB11-80ED-00155DE5EC03>, please contact Jill Grogg directly at jill.grogg at lyrasis.org<mailto:jill.grogg at lyrasis.org>.

Thank you,

Jill Grogg
LYRASIS Content & Scholarly Communication Initiatives Team<https://www.lyrasis.org/about/Pages/content-and-scholarly-communication.aspx>

[LYRASIS_smaller]

Jill E. Grogg, MA, MS
Strategist, Content and Scholarly Communication Initiatives
jill.grogg at lyrasis.org<mailto:jill.grogg at lyrasis.org>
[cid:image003.gif at 01D7B6A9.58495C50] https://orcid.org/0000-0001-5136-4507

404.556.5094
Remote, based in U.S. - Central Time