[MDL] FW: OA Funding Campaign Ends Soon: Invest in the Open Access Community Investment Program (OACIP)

Maryland Digital Library mdl at lyrasis.org
Thu Jul 22 13:05:25 EDT 2021

From: lyroffers-bounces at lyralists.lyrasis.org <lyroffers-bounces at lyralists.lyrasis.org> On Behalf Of Sharla Lair
Sent: Thursday, July 22, 2021 10:59 AM
To: 'lyroffers at lyralists.lyrasis.org' <lyroffers at lyralists.lyrasis.org>
Subject: [Lyroffers] OA Funding Campaign Ends Soon: Invest in the Open Access Community Investment Program (OACIP)

[cid:image001.png at 01D33165.E38B4710]

Hello everyone.

We are nearing the end of the pilot of the Open Access Community Investment Program (OACIP)<https://www.lyrasis.org/content/Pages/oacip.aspx>, a project developed by LYRASIS in partnership with Transitioning Society Publications to Open Access<http://tspoa.org> (TSPOA) and Duke University Press<https://www.dukeupress.edu/>.

OACIP's goal is to connect libraries, consortia, and other funders with non-profit publishers and journal editorial boards that need financial investments to sustain or transition to Open Access (OA) publishing. OACIP's pilot phase launched with investment opportunities for two journals, showcasing aspects of each publishing program so that libraries and other funders can use the information to support their decisions about which OA programs to support.

We have received a positive response from the library community despite the economic consequences of the pandemic. Thank you to all that have participated thus far. Through your collective action, Combinatorial Theory is now fully funded for the next five years! However, we still need the library community's help to sustain Environmental Humanities for the next five years.

As of today, the journal needs $13,000/year for five years to close the journal's funding gap and there is a very short period to do so. Please review the information below and consider contributing to this program.

Investment Opportunity: Environmental Humanities

Environmental Humanities <https://www.lyrasis.org/content/Pages/product-details.aspx?pid=E5BB60F3-8435-EB11-80ED-00155DE5EC03> is an OA journal published by Duke University Press that is seeking investment for editorial and publication services to support an additional OA journal issue each year for five years. As the field of environmental humanities continues its rapid growth and development, the Press and the Editors want to increase the journal's frequency in 2022 from two issues to three issues per year and to provide financial support to the journal's editorial office. Here is a link to the current issue of the journal: https://read.dukeupress.edu/environmental-humanities/issue/13/1 After reviewing the contents you can see that the journal disseminates knowledge on some of the key issues of our time, such as climate change and other environmental issues.

Investment Criteria: Each OACIP content provider completes a standardized form that asks for the criteria that libraries and other investors require to make investment decisions. These criteria will provide transparency around issues important to investors in this space.

  *   Review Environmental Humanities' Investment Criteria Responses<https://www.lyrasis.org/content/Documents/Request%20for%20Investment_Environmental%20Humanities_12.2020.pdf>

Environmental Humanities Funding Goal

  *   $17,000/year for five years received from 24 institutions towards the $30,000/year goal for five years
  *   Due to the smaller suggested levels of support, this program requires a larger community to support it.

Environmental Humanities Funding Request
Five-year commitments are being sought for annual contributions at any of the following levels, however, a library may contribute at any amount.
*       Level 1/$500 per year for five years
*       Level 2/$1,000 per year for five years
*       Level 3/Any amount above $1,000 per year for five years
*Organizations may participate at the level that aligns with their budget and their assessment of the value of the journal for their community.

The deadline to participate in this program is July 30, 2021. These are five-year commitments. We can invoice for the level of support each year or we can invoice for the full five years of support upfront.

More information about supporting the LYRASIS Open Access Community Investment Program and these publications are available on the LYRASIS site<https://www.lyrasis.org/content/Pages/oacip.aspx> or you can email sharla.lair at lyrasis.org<mailto:sharla.lair at lyrasis.org>.

Thank you,

Sharla Lair
LYRASIS Content & Scholarly Communication Initiatives Team<https://www.lyrasis.org/about/Pages/content-and-scholarly-communication.aspx>

[LYRASIS_smaller]