[MDL] FW: Does your library subscribe to APS journals?

Maryland Digital Library mdl at lyrasis.org
Wed Feb 27 15:20:56 EST 2019

From: lyroffers-bounces at lyralists.lyrasis.org <lyroffers-bounces at lyralists.lyrasis.org> On Behalf Of Celeste Feather
Sent: Wednesday, February 27, 2019 11:22 AM
To: LYRASIS OFFERS LISTSERV <lyroffers at lyralists.lyrasis.org>
Subject: [Lyroffers] Does your library subscribe to APS journals?

Dear LYRASIS Members,

Thanks very much to those of you who have responded to our calls for information from American Physical Society (APS) journal subscribers. We are continuing to gather support for the SCOAP3 open access program for articles in high energy physics, and would like to hear from more of you.

As a reminder, supporting the SCOAP3 open access program does not require any additional funds from libraries. Instead, a portion of your former subscription dollars is simply redirected to SCOAP3 to support the open access content published in the participating journals. Subscribers have already received SCOAP3 credits on their 2019 renewal statements from APS, and these are the funds that LYRASIS is helping to gather from US libraries and redirect to the SCOAP3 program.

If your library subscribes to any of the following journals or packages from the American Physical Society, you have SCOAP3 credits eligible for redirection:

  *   APS-ALL package (includes Physical Review C, Physical Review D, and Physical Review. Letters)
  *   PR-ALL package (includes Physical Review C and Physical Review D)
  *   Physical Review C
  *   Physical Review D
  *   Physical Review. Letters

We would like to hear from you as soon as possible at https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/3JRGY9M so that we can be in touch about next steps as you consider becoming a SCOAP3 partner library.

Additional details of the program are below. We encourage you to become a part of the SCOAP3 community and help further the work of this vibrant program in Open Access.

Please let me know if you have questions.

Thanks,

Celeste

Celeste Feather, MA, MLS
Senior Director of Content and Scholarly Communication Initiatives
LYRASIS
celeste.feather at lyrasis.org<mailto:celeste.feather at lyrasis.org>
800.999.8558 x2954 (toll-free)
678-235-2954 (direct)
celeste.feather (Skype)

[cid:image001.png at 01D4CDF1.89A40FF0]

American Physical Society (APS) has joined the SCOAP3 Open Access Program for Journal Articles in Particle Physics

All US subscribers to APS journal packages are now eligible to redirect a portion of their annual subscription fee to SCOAP3 to support particle physics journal articles in Open Access. This program is completely cost-neutral to libraries. No additional funds are required.

If your library is already a SCOAP3 participant and appears on this list of supporting US institutions<https://www.lyrasis.org/content/Pages/Scoap3.aspx>, there is no need to do anything more. You are all set for 2019. Thanks!

If your institution is not on the list of over 140 current SCOAP3 supporters in the US, please keep reading. We're hoping to hear from you soon via the survey link at the end of this message.

  *   What is SCOAP3?
  *   How is LYRASIS involved?
  *   Why is the American Physical Society's participation in SCOAP3 important?
  *   What APS packages and journals are affected?
  *   How will the annual payments for APS journals be divided between the paywalled subscription fee and the SCOAP3 Open Access program?
  *   How does participation benefit my library?
  *   How can my library participate and support SCOAP3?
  *   Questions?

What is SCOAP3?
The Sponsoring Consortium for Open Access Publishing in Particle Physics<https://scoap3.org/> (SCOAP3, pronounced "Scope Three") is a highly successful program to support the Open Access publication of journal articles in particle physics. Libraries have been redirecting former subscription funds to support SCOAP3 since 2014. The global library community provides support for this program through the sponsoring organization, CERN, the European Organization for Nuclear Research, in Geneva, Switzerland. CERN is the home of the Large Hadron Collider, the most powerful particle accelerator in existence. Authors of papers included in the SCOAP3 program are not required to pay Article Processing Charges.

How is LYRASIS involved?
LYRASIS is the US National Contact point for SCOAP3. Our role is to reach out to the US library community, work with libraries to redirect former subscription dollars over to the SCOAP3 program, and handle the invoicing process as the funds from libraries are gathered. We have been working with SCOAP3 since its inception.

Why is the American Physical Society's participation in SCOAP3 important?
With the participation of APS, the SCOAP3 program now includes over 90% of the world's article publication in particle physics. Those of us in the United States are particularly glad to see the leading US scholarly society in physics join SCOAP3.

What APS packages and journals are affected?
The particle physics articles in 3 APS journals are included in SCOAP3. Not all of the articles in these journals are about particle physics, so the remainder of the content in the journals will only be available by a subscription. The credits provided to each library customer for SCOAP3 are based on the percentage of content in particle physics that each journal publishes each year. The 3 journals are

  *   Physical Review C
  *   Physical Review D
  *   Physical Review. Letters

Physical Review C and Physical Review D are included in the APS package called PR-ALL. Physical Review C, Physical Review D, and Physical Review. Letters are all included in the APS package called APS-ALL.

How will the annual payments for APS journals be divided between the paywalled subscription fee and the SCOAP3 Open Access program?
All annual payments for the paywalled subscription portion of the journals will continue to go to APS, using the same procurement channel of your choice as usual. The portion of the total APS annual payment that will now be redirected to SCOAP3 may be paid through LYRASIS or your agent, if your agent permits.

How does participation benefit my library?
A cost neutral model for libraries to support Open Access such as the SCOAP3 program offers a pathway to support this growing movement even when budgets are tight. SCOAP3 has held the cost of supporting its program to a minimum. The costs for paywalled content have risen at a much faster pace since 2014 than the costs to support SCOAP3. By redirecting a portion of your subscription dollars to SCOAP3, you will likely lower your total ongoing costs for a publisher's content over time. Saving money and supporting Open Access are worthy causes.

How can my library participate and support SCOAP3?
Due to APS' customer privacy policies, they are not able to let SCOAP3 or LYRASIS know the precise dollar amounts of the SCOAP3 credits due to each subscriber. We need to get that information from you, and then work with you to determine the most efficient way to redirect your SCOAP3 credit amounts over to SCOAP3. APS reports that they have sent each subscriber this information on statements/invoices this fall.

Here are the key things we need to learn from you:

  *   Who are the best contacts at your library for discussing SCOAP3 and for invoicing matters?
  *   How do you currently acquire APS journals? Through an agent, or APS directly? (Some subscription agents will be able to invoice you for SCOAP3, while others will not. APS will not invoice libraries for SCOAP3 fees. LYRASIS will always be able to invoice you directly if that is the selected path.)
  *   What APS journal package or individual journal titles do you purchase?
  *   APS reports that they have sent each library customer multiple direct statements this fall showing the amounts of the SCOAP3 Open Access credits along with your annual paywalled subscription renewal fee. Do you have access to this information for your library?

Please complete the following survey as soon as possible to share this information with us, and then we will be in touch about next steps.

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/3JRGY9M

Questions?
Thank you so very much for your help. This initiative is challenging, but I know a strong community like ours will make it happen. If you have questions, please feel free to contact me directly at Celeste.Feather at lyrasis.org<mailto:Celeste.Feather at lyrasis.org>.

Celeste

Celeste Feather, MA, MLS
Senior Director of Licensing and Strategic Partnerships
celeste.feather at lyrasis.org<mailto:celeste.feather at lyrasis.org>
800.999.8558 x2954 (toll-free)
678-235-2954 (direct)
celeste.feather (Skype)