[Lyrspringer-b] Springer Frontfile eBooks through LYRASIS in 2015

Celeste Feather celeste.feather at lyrasis.org
Wed Oct 22 08:25:06 EDT 2014

Welcome to the new email list for LYRASIS libraries that have purchased Springer eBook Collections!

I am very pleased with the offers we've been able to negotiate with Springer for 2015, based largely on our collective action this past fiscal year. Other LYRASIS libraries will be able to benefit from our efforts in 2015, as Springer is extending very favorable terms to them as well. I will send a second message to this list shortly about the new LYRASIS Build-a-Group offer for the Springer Book Archives (1842-2004). Again, thanks for all of your support.

Springer's usual increase for ebook collections in recent years has been in the 7-10% range.  We have negotiated a much lower price cap for LYRASIS libraries in 2015.

If your library purchases 2015 collections by Dec. 31, 2014, LYRASIS can offer the following options:

*         A 3-year commitment for +3% per year over the cost of the 2014 collections you purchased, with that collection's 2006 content provided for free. (You received the 2005 content for free last year with your purchase.)

                        OR

*         A 1-year price of +5% over the fee paid for the 2014 collections you purchased, with that collection's 2006 content provided for free.

If your library did not purchase 2014 collections last year, but purchased earlier ones, we will work with Springer on a custom offer for you to fill in any gaps. This pricing will be in line with the 2015 collection pricing extended to our group.

I know that a multi-year license raises concerns about potential financial difficulties or commitments in future years. Our LYRASIS central license with Springer includes the following clause about a library's ability to opt out of a multi-year agreement in the case of financial stress:

If a Participating Institution's ability to pay its annual fee under a multi-year Agreement is reduced during the term of the Agreement, the Institution is given the option of opting out during the term of this agreement.  Notice of such termination must be given by 31st October of the preceding year. Termination must take effect on January 1st of the calendar year. If a Participating Institution terminates after a calendar year begins they will not receive a refund of all or part of the license fee based on their subscriptions for that calendar year.

For those of you not able to purchase 2015 collections before Dec. 31, 2014,  I will do my best to get another favorable option for you to consider in the spring of 2015. A number of you have shared that you are relying on year-end funding for these purchases and are not in a good position to act now.

Please contact your LYRASIS Member Representative<http://www.lyrasis.org/about/Pages/Meet-the-Member-Outreach-Team.aspx> or Member Support<mailto:membersupport at lyrasis.org?subject=Springer%20ebooks> if you wish to place orders for these collections, and let us know if you will be committing to a 3-year offer or a 1-year offer.

Please let me know if you have any questions, and again I want to thank you for your collective action last year that helped us create a much-improved group offer for all LYRASIS libraries going forward.

Celeste

Celeste Feather
Senior Licensing Program Account Manager
LYRASIS
celeste.feather at lyrasis.org<mailto:celeste.feather at lyrasis.org>
800-999-8558 ext. 2954 (Toll-free)
678-235-2954 (Direct)