[Lyrarl] Request for feedback re UPSO offer

Celeste Feather celeste.feather at lyrasis.org
Mon Sep 22 11:33:14 EDT 2014

I'd like to check in with you quickly as I begin working with the university press ebook aggregators for 2015 collection offers through the ARL Licensing Initiative in the next few weeks. As I look over all the activity of the past few years, one thing I've noticed is that participation in the OUP University Press Scholarship Online (UPSO) offers is lower than participation in the MUSE and De Gruyter/Harvard University Press offers. I'd like to get a little more information from this community about why this might be happening.

One reason that quickly comes to mind is the per title pricing in the UPSO collections, which is higher than the per title pricing from MUSE and De Gruyter/HUP. I continue to press this point with OUP. I also know that there are several existing consortial group offers for OUP/UPSO ebooks that pre-date the ARL Licensing Initiative, and these may be contributing to the lower participation level.   I am wondering, though, if there are other factors that I could share with OUP as we negotiate for 2015.

If those of you from libraries that have not participated in an ARL UPSO offer yet could take 3 minutes to give me some feedback, I would be most appreciative.

Here's a link to a quick survey so I can gather your responses efficiently:   https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/ARLUPSO

Please respond by Friday, September 26 if you are able. I will always take input at any time, of course!

The survey asks the following questions:

1.       Did your library consider participating in the ARL offers for Oxford University Press Scholarship Online during 2013 and 2014? Yes/No

2.       [If No] What factors contributed to the decision?

a.       Already participating in another group offer for UPSO content

b.      Prefer to purchase titles selectively rather than in collections

c.       Lack of available funds

d.      Content not of high interest to user community

e.      Other, please comment:

3.       [If Yes]What factors contributed to the decision not to participate after your library considered a purchase of UPSO content?

a.       Cost too high

b.      Lack of available funds

c.       Did not like platform

d.      Preferred to purchase titles selectively rather than in collections

e.      Other, please comment:

4.       How likely is it that your library will consider participating in the upcoming UPSO 2015 offer?

a.       Very likely

b.      Somewhat likely

c.       Don't know

d.      Not likely

Thanks for your help.

Celeste

Celeste Feather
Senior Licensing Program Account Manager
LYRASIS
celeste.feather at lyrasis.org<mailto:celeste.feather at lyrasis.org>
800-999-8558 ext. 2954 (Toll-free)
678-235-2954 (Direct)