[Lyrarl] University Press Ebook Offers for 2014

Celeste Feather celeste.feather at lyrasis.org
Thu Oct 17 12:34:13 EDT 2013

All,

This is a brief note to let you know that I am in active conversations with Project MUSE, Oxford University Press, and De Gruyter/HUP for ARL Licensing Initiative offers for 2014 ebook collections and hope to have detailed information to you soon when all of the details are finalized. I anticipate that the Project MUSE 2014 ARL offer will be released in the next few days, and we will again have special time-limited offers through March 1.

I also am in continuing conversation with JSTOR, but do not yet know if we will have an ebook offer from them for 2014.

LYRASIS and ARL had a discussion earlier this year about the administrative fee structure for the Licensing Initiative offers, and we have arrived at an altered structure that is easier to explain and understand. We now have two years of experience to guide our thinking. There are no major changes, but I think the new fee structure is a more balanced approach. The key change is that new participants in an ARL/LYRASIS group license that totals over $500,000 annually will pay a slightly higher fee for their first year of participation than libraries that have participated in the group license in prior years. If the total amount of orders in a given year exceed a defined threshold, then the fee for all participants will still be reduced on a sliding scale. With respect to the forthcoming MUSE offer, new libraries in the group will start with a 5% admin fee, and returning libraries will start with a 4% admin fee. In the past two years we have narrowly missed the $1.5 million threshold needed to start reducing the MUSE admin fee for all, but perhaps in 2014 we will meet that benchmark.

Details of the revised fee structure are below, and I'll be glad to answer any questions on this topic.

5% Admin Fee

 *   Applied to all participants during the first year of a negotiated offer in order to provide appropriate compensation for the work involved to negotiate, promote, discuss, and administer orders including initial setup work for each library. If total annual orders exceed $1.5 million, then the first year fee will be decreased for all.
 *   Also applied to a library for the first year it joins an established group offer if not during the first year the offer is available.
 *   Applied to all participants each year for offers that do not accumulate a minimum of $500,000 in orders

4% Admin Fee

 *   Applied to all participants during their second and successive years of participation in a negotiated offer above the annual total value of $500,000. If total annual orders reach $2 million, then the fee will be decreased for all.

Celeste

Celeste Feather
Senior Licensing Program Account Manager
LYRASIS
celeste.feather at lyrasis.org<mailto:celeste.feather at lyrasis.org>
800-999-8558 ext. 2954 (Toll-free)
678-235-2954 (Direct)