[Lyrarl] Reveal Digital User Group Open Meeting at ALA - RSVP Please

Celeste Feather celeste.feather at lyrasis.org
Tue Jun 11 10:32:46 EDT 2013

As mentioned earlier on this list, LYRASIS is providing administrative support for the Independent Voices open access initiative from Reveal Digital. I am aware of 25 ARL member libraries that have offered support for the project to date. There will be a meeting for participants and any other interested folks at ALA on Friday evening. Please share the invitation from Reveal below with anyone in your library who might be interested in learning more about this project. I can vouch that response so far has been quite positive towards the model that Reveal is creating in close conversation with the library and consortial community.

Celeste

*******************

During ALA, we invite you to attend the inaugural joint User Group-Steering Committee meeting for Reveal Digital to be held on Friday, June 28 (7-8:30 p.m.) in the Buckingham Suite, located on the Bronze Level of the East Tower, Hyatt Regency Chicago<http://www.chicagoregency.hyatt.com/en/hotel/our-hotel/map-and-directions.html?icamp=propMapDirections>, 151 East Wacker Drive.

Thanks to a warm reception by the library community, our first open-access collection on the alternative press, Independent Voices<http://www.revealdigital.com/voices>, is now in full production.  In the first few months since our launch, over thirty libraries have purchased the collection and we are now over 25% toward our cost recovery goal.

This open meeting will provide you with an opportunity to learn more about Reveal's unique cost recovery = open access model and how the model can be applied to fund the digitization of special collections.  A recent Library Journal article<http://www.thedigitalshift.com/2013/02/digitization/reveal-digital-seeks-sweet-spot-funding-model-for-digitizing-special-collections/> will give you an overview of our approach.

In addition to interested librarians, the meeting will include members of our Steering Committee and representatives from supporting libraries, and will cover topics such as:

*         Progress on the Independent Voices collection

*         New sourcing libraries

*         Platform and data model updates

*         Long-term hosting alternatives

*         Ideas for future digital collections

*         How libraries can advocate for more open-access collections

*         And much more
We hope you will join us for this opportunity to network with other forward-thinking librarians, share your ideas, and discuss digital collection issues-in addition to enjoying light refreshments.  To register your attendance for this event or if you have questions, please email Jeff Moyer at: jmoyer at revealdigital.com<mailto:jmoyer at revealdigital.com>.

Celeste Feather
Senior Licensing Program Account Manager
LYRASIS
celeste.feather at lyrasis.org<mailto:celeste.feather at lyrasis.org>
800-999-8558 ext. 2954 (Toll-free)
678-235-2954 (Direct)