[Lyrarl] Independent Voices Open Access Initiative

Celeste Feather celeste.feather at lyrasis.org
Fri Jan 25 08:44:16 EST 2013

I'm writing today to make sure that you are all aware of a new open access venture titled Independent Voices, which is a program managed by Reveal Digital to digitize primary source materials from alternative presses that are drawn from research library special collections. Please pardon the interruption of our usual conversation about ARL Licensing Initiative offers. Many libraries in the ARL community are already engaged in the conversation about Independent Voices, though, and I wanted to provide an opportunity for everyone to be equally well-informed.

The first collections in Independent Voices are drawn from materials owned by Northwestern University and Duke University. Reveal Digital is seeking expressions of interest from now until June 30 in order to proceed with the project as planned. The prospectus for the Independent Voices program is available here<http://bit.ly/UbLBO4>, along with the expression of interest form<http://bit.ly/VQLG9m> (Word document). A version of the Expression of Interest Form that can be completed online is available at http://bit.ly/UkWbDu. LYRASIS is providing administrative support for this project as part of its ongoing support for open access initiatives.

The first 75,000 pages of Independent Voices are available for at http://www.revealdigital.com. Jeff Moyer from Reveal Digital will host a webinar about the project on February 13 from 1:00-2:00 p.m. Eastern Time, and you may register here<http://www.lyrasis.org/?sc_itemid=%7b5A71F107-0455-4E13-9D7A-23D81E6D89A6%7d&RowId=1-O7Q5T>. [Note: the webinar registration software does not play nicely with Google Chrome, so please use another browser.]

I'll be glad to answer any questions you have.

Celeste

Celeste Feather
Licensing Program Account Manager
LYRASIS