[Lyrarl] Improved discount for UPSO ebook offer

Celeste Feather celeste.feather at lyrasis.org
Wed Feb 20 16:16:31 EST 2013

Yesterday I announced the extension of the response deadline for the Oxford UPSO offer from February 28 to March 15. I've also been working with OUP to extend a deeper discount to all participating libraries at the outset as a way to guarantee lower prices at the start, and I'm pleased to share the news that today they have agreed to do just that.

The offer you've all been reviewing established the initial discount for all of the publisher and subject collections at UPSO at 15% off list, and Oxford has now agreed to offer all participating libraries a minimum of 25% off list. That discount may still increase on a sliding scale if we get enough participants. I'm hopeful that the new guarantee of at least 25% off list will help some additional libraries afford these collections.

As we all do cost comparisons among the three offers (HUP, MUSE 2013, and UPSO) we are considering now through the ARL Licensing Initiative, it's clear that the UPSO collections have a higher per title cost even at the deeper discount levels available if we manage to gather a large group. A key reason for this reality is that the OUP titles and those from many of their partner presses start out in the print world at a higher average cost than titles from other university presses. Discounts for all of these ebook collections are traceable in some fashion to the print prices. Analysis of these ebook collection offers makes it easier to see the cost differences among the publishers that have existed for a long time in the print realm.

As always, let me know if you have any questions.

Celeste

Celeste Feather
Licensing Program Account Manager
LYRASIS