[Learning] Free Webinar: Pivoting Absentee Ballot Day in the Library during the Pandemic

Annie Peterson Annie.Peterson at lyrasis.org
Thu Feb 4 16:54:59 EST 2021

[https://files.constantcontact.com/df76fc97001/ffab4da9-b360-4a2d-83f9-345b25dd09fb.jpg]

Pivoting Absentee Ballot Day in the Library during the Pandemic<https://www.lyrasis.org/Content/Pages/Event-Details.aspx?Eid=C9E9C1E7-A364-EB11-80EF-00155D0A2721>
*Free* webinar on 2/25/2021, 2:00 - 3:00pm Eastern
Register at https://www.lyrasis.org/Content/Pages/Event-Details.aspx?Eid=C9E9C1E7-A364-EB11-80EF-00155D0A2721

In 2018, American University Library offered its first "Absentee Ballot Day in the Library" and assisted 1005 students in requesting absentee ballots. Since that time, Gwendolyn Reece from AU and Mary Evangeliste from Fearless Future have been gathering other interested librarians to organize for the 2020 election. Kristina Alayan of Howard University joined effort and Howard offered an Absentee Ballot Day for the 2020 Primary. And then--COVID struck. Not to be discouraged, we pivoted Absentee Ballot Day in the library to become Request a Ballot week. Coordinating through a listserv, we provided a Libguide with all of the state-by-state materials, letter templates, graphics for advertising and social media, and concocted a plan that allowed us to provide assistance to our students so that they can vote, even though we did not meet in person. We are already committing to working again together for 2022 and invite others to join us. This briefing talks about the pivot to an online initiative and discusses ways to keep the momentum moving.

Presenters:
Kristina J. Alayan, Law Library Director & Assistant Professor of Law, Howard University School of Law
Mary Evangeliste, Fearless Future
Gwendolyn Reece, Associate University Librarian and Director of Research, Teaching and Learning at American University

This webinar is free for anyone to register, so feel free to pass along this info to others within and/or outside of your institution; the session is not limited to LYRASIS Learning subscribers.

You received this message through the LYRASIS Learning listserv.