[Icolcweb] FW: ICOLC Web Site Upgrade

Brandon Weigel brandonw at bceln.ca
Thu Jan 16 10:22:55 EST 2020

Hi Celeste,

The tech group had an email discussion, and we determined that we need to wait for the design group to make some decisions and put together some specs before any technical work can commence.

We want the new website to be functional and serve ICOLC’s needs, so we can’t simply migrate the existing site to Drupal 8 as-is. We need a clear sense of what we want this website to be: what it’s for, what kind of content should (and should not) exist there, what kind of structures we need to support it.

We should be aiming to build something that fulfills specific, well-defined functions. If a new function is defined later on, it should be easy to build the structures that support it within the existing framework.

So before the tech team can make any moves, we need the following from the design team:
A well-defined purpose for the site:
Who will be using the site, and for what purposes?
What functions should it fulfill?
A list of functional requirements:
What operations are we enabling, and how will they interact?
How will users interact with the site? (both end-users and logged-in members)
Some design notes/mockups, such as menu structure, etc.

If the design team would like, I could provide some of the documents BC ELN put together when we did our website migration, which cover these elements.

> I know Christy, Sarah, and Sharla have met about the user interface.

Please include me in these discussions, so I can fulfill my liaison role! We need these two groups connected. Do you have notes from this meeting?

Cheers,

Brandon Weigel
Coordinator and Arca Manager
BC Electronic Library Network