[Icolcebook] evidence-based ebooks in consortia

Susan Stearns sstearns at blc.org
Fri Sep 18 17:40:07 EDT 2015

Kathi - the BLC just began a Taylor & Francis evidence-based program.  It's
a bit too early for me to report any explicit results, but. like you, we
became frustrated with a number of aspects of the ebrary dda program that
we had in place the the previous 3 years.  Escalating and unpredictable stl
pricing being a major issue, but not the only one.
After much discussion, we decided to enter into two projects for at least
the next year: the T&F program mentioned above and a JSTOR ebook dda
program.
Maybe we can catch up at Midwinter at which point we may have something
rather more definitive to report.
If you specific questions relating to your evaluation, I'm glad to try to
address them.
Susan

On Fri, Sep 18, 2015 at 4:38 PM, Kathi Fountain <kfountain at orbiscascade.org>
wrote:

> The Orbis Cascade Alliance's DDA program is just over 4-years old, and I'm
> working with our group of librarians to examine its future.  The last year
> has been volatile, and the growing short term loan rates and front list
> embargoes have created previously unseen budget instability and project
> overhead.
>
> We're interested in an alternative that would bring more stability and are
> considering evidence-based alternatives.
>
> For those of you that have an evidence-based arrangement, can you let me
> know which publishers you've worked with and whether you'd recommend others
> to do the same?
>
> Thanks,
> Kathi
>
> --
> Kathi Carlisle Fountain
> Program Manager - electronic resources, consortial e-books, and shared
> collections
> Orbis Cascade Alliance
>
> kfountain at orbiscascade.org | 360-931-1665
> *** based in the Portland metro area* **
>
> Orbis Cascade Alliance
> 2288 Oakmont Way | Eugene, OR 97401
> http://www.orbiscascade.org
>
> *"There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more."*
> -The Smiths

Susan M. Stearns
Executive Director
Boston Library Consortium