[Archivesspace_Users_Group] ArchivesSpace Export Service for Aggregation

Corey Schmidt Corey.Schmidt at uga.edu
Tue Nov 7 08:47:37 EST 2023

Hello all,

Is there anyone besides Yale using the ArchivesSpace Export Service (https://github.com/hudmol/archivesspace_export_service) developed by Hudson Molonglo? If so, could you tell us how you're using it?

We are interested in experimenting with the plugin as we are considering creating a public-facing, state-wide ArchivesSpace aggregator, where institutions from across the state can contribute their finding aids for researchers to explore collectively. We are assuming that using EAD would be the best format to do this with and we've already identified a couple of different tools to help us manage the initial export and import of data from other institutions into the aggregator ArchivesSpace instance.

The difficulty, however, is what to do with collections that are updated/changed moving forward, as well as any additional collections that are added. The above plugin will monitor and pull updated/new collections and even remove collections if they are no longer set to publish or are deleted/suppressed - but the drop-off point for these are EADs in GitHub. Getting EADs from GitHub into ArchivesSpace for already existing collections is not possible unless we delete the initial collection and add the new one, but that eliminates sustainable links on the public side. We could bypass this issue by including a link to the original collection from the institution so a user knows to check there for any updates, but that's not an ideal solution. This is on top of work we will need to do to clean-up/standardize the data going into ArchivesSpace using Schematron or another integration which the above plugin has available.

Any ideas or suggestions are appreciated. Thanks!

Sincerely,

Corey

Corey Schmidt
University of Georgia Libraries | Project Management Librarian/Archivist
300 S Hull St | Athens, GA 30605
706-542-8151<tel:7065428151> | Corey.Schmidt at uga.edu<mailto:Corey.Schmidt at uga.edu>
[University of Georgia]