[Archivesspace_Users_Group] Diagnosing issues with ArchivesSpace

Michael Smith mismith at nla.gov.au
Tue May 23 19:52:45 EDT 2023

Hello,

Our team has been facing recurring issues with our ArchivesSpace setup since October last year, which we've been unable to fully resolve despite concerted efforts.

We’re currently running v3.2 on Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 7.9 (Maipo) and we do have a few custom plugins developed by Hudmol. These don’t appear to be causing the issues that we’re seeing but we haven’t ruled that out yet.

The primary problem involves intermittent system slowdowns and shutdowns, requiring frequent reboots to regain functionality. This occurs on average 3-4 times weekly but can sometimes be more frequent. This issue is affecting multiple teams across our organization.

The most common symptom of our problem that we are seeing now looks to be a connection pool leak where what looks like indexer threads are holding connections in a closed wait state and preventing them from being used for other requests.  This leads to the main page timing out and staff seeing 504 errors, when unresponsive in this manner we usually restart the application. If the application hits an OOM, it will restart itself.

Some of the things we’ve attempted so far,

  *   changed default config settings for indexer records per thread, thread count and solr timeout to 10, 2 & 300
  *   modified archivesspace.sh to increase memory available (ASPACE_JAVA_XMX="-Xmx35g")
  *   disabled both PUI and PUI indexer
  *   application logging to a circular log
  *   changed the garbage collection policies (ASPACE_GC_OPTS="-XX:+CMSClassUnloadingEnabled -XX:+UseConcMarkSweepGC -XX:NewRatio=1 -XX:+ExitOnOutOfMemoryError -XX:+UseGCOverheadLimit")
  *   checked top_containers with empty relationships (0 results)
  *   checked for duplicate event relationships (0 results)
  *   checked for empty indexer state files per record type (0 empty state files)
  *   nightly restarts of the system

Any advice with further diagnosis / troubleshooting would be appreciated. If you need additional information about our setup or the issues we're encountering, please let us know.

Regards,

Michael Smith  |  Software Developer
02 6262 1029  |  mismith at nla.gov.au<mailto:mismith at nla.gov.au>  |  National Library of Australia
The National Library of Australia acknowledges Australia’s First Nations Peoples – the First Australians – as the Traditional Owners and Custodians of this land and gives respect to the Elders – past and present – and through them to all Australian Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people.