[Archivesspace_Users_Group] MARC XML -->resource record batch import

Newhouse, Sarah snewhouse at sciencehistory.org
Tue Oct 4 12:28:04 EDT 2022

Hi all,

We're trying to figure out the fastest way to generate stub resource records in ASpace from MARC XML for about 300 collections. The MARC XML we get from our Sierra OPAC creates really messy resource records using the MARC import function baked into ASpace, so while we could do that and spend our time on clean-up after ingest, I feel like there must be a way to convert the MARC XML into clean JSON in bulk (maybe with a CSV intermediary step?) and then import via the API. Before I go too far down the "I'll just do it all myself" route, has anyone done this before and could share workflows or scripts? Or gently tell me why this won't work?

I'm aware of this from Smith: https://github.com/smith-special-collections/a2c-tools/tree/master/mrbc_resources
and the API Playbook<https://support.atlas-sys.com/hc/en-us/articles/360052217114-The-ArchivesSpace-API-Playbook> from Atlas, the official API wiki<https://archivesspace.github.io/archivesspace/api/> and its sample scripts, and various blog posts/guides for ArchivesSnake and PyMARC.

Other suggestions?

Thank you!

Sarah Newhouse   (she, her, hers)
Digital Preservation Archivist
Othmer Library of Chemical History
t. +1.215.873.8249

Science History Institute
Chemistry * Engineering * Life Sciences
315 Chestnut Street * Philadelphia, PA 19106 * U.S.A.
Learn about the scientific discoveries that changed our world at sciencehistory.org/learn<https://www.sciencehistory.org/learn>