[Archivesspace_Users_Group] Looking for ways to best handle object record culturally sensitive restrictions

Franklin, Naomi naomi-franklin at utulsa.edu
Fri Nov 11 13:55:22 EST 2022

Hello, hello.

I’m seeking advice for how to best handle archival object record restrictions in ASpace. During a recent consultation of an archive collection, a number of photographs were identified with being culturally sensitive thus needing to be not only restricted to public access, but also internal access. In our efforts to be NAGPRA compliant and to follow the wishes of the Tribe, I need to determine best method(s) of restricting these records based on the options available in ASpace. I cannot find any previous conversations around this topic, and am wondering if others have had to restrict records for similar reasons before or restrict in general. My institution migrated our archive data to ASpace from TMS (The Museum System) a little over a year ago, so we’re still becoming familiar with the ins and outs of ASpace. We have procedures established for handling NAGPRA/Culturally Sensitive materials in TMS, but not yet ASpace. I welcome any thoughts and suggestions. Thanks!

Best,
Naomi
Cataloguing Manager and Associate DBA
Gilcrease Museum