[Archivesspace_Users_Group] (re)indexing in 2.8.1

Tom Hanstra hanstra at nd.edu
Tue May 10 10:23:21 EDT 2022

I don't look at the logs a lot unless there are issues with ArchivesSpace,
so maybe this is something normal. But, after a restart due to some
complaints about database connectivity, it looks like our ArchivesSpace
instance has decided to do a full reindex. The index log sure looks as if
it is starting from scratch and running through the indexing of both PUI
and Staff indexes.

Is this possible?  Is it something that happens periodically and I just did
not notice it? Nothing has changed in my data directory, so I don't see any
reason for indexing to occur. Yet that is what the logs show.

If it is doing this for some reason, and knowing that we restart
periodically, it seems like we will get into a loop where indexing just
keeps happening all the time. Also, it would be helpful to understand what
caused this to happen.

Any thoughts or experiences from those who have run this for longer would
be appreciated. I'd like to understand if it would be a good idea to clear
the data directory and perform a full index over the weekend rather than an
unexpected and possibly never ending round in the background.

Thanks,
Tom
--
*Tom Hanstra*