[Archivesspace_Users_Group] Question regarding Related Agents General relationship type

James E. Cross jcross at clemson.edu
Mon May 9 09:17:22 EDT 2022

I am working on instructions for using ArchivesSpace and a question has come up regarding the General relationship type in the Related Agents section of Agents. Can anyone point me to any definitions or use standards for the General relationship types in ArchivesSpace? Previous versions had definitions of the various relationships but that appears to be no longer true. I know that the types are based on the @cpfRelationType attribute values for the Relations element in EAC-CPF; I have looked at the documentation for the standard but do not any definitions for those values. Some appear to be relatively straightforward and are likely the same as in previous versions (e.g.,  Earlier/Later), but there are others that are not so clear. When would I use the Identity type, or the Temporal (instead of Earlier/Later)? Does Hierarchical fully replace Subordinate/Superior or if I wish to preserve the specific nature of the relationship information in the latter would I use Parent/Child? Is the Associative type still used mainly for officers of an organization or has it broadened out to any kind of "association?"

Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Jim Cross
Manuscripts Archivist

James Edward Cross, C.A. CLEMSON UNIVERSITY
Manuscripts Archivist
Special Collections and Archives
Clemson University Libraries
Box 343001
Clemson, SC  29634-3001
Phone: (864) 656-5182
Website: http://library.clemson.edu/depts/specialcollections/
Pronouns: he/him/his
Traditional Cherokee Lands | Site of Fort Hill Plantation
Please do not feel obligated to respond to this message outside of your normal working hours.