[Archivesspace_Users_Group] ArchivesSpace Update - March 2022

Jessica Crouch Jessica.Crouch at lyrasis.org
Thu Mar 31 12:47:36 EDT 2022

   [cid:image001.jpg at 01D7E600.7FF2B540]

Upcoming Schedule at a Glance:

Every Friday this month: Take a Break with ArchivesSpace <https://archivesspace.org/archives/7294>

April 1: Submissions due for the ArchivesSpace Inclusive Examples Project<https://archivesspace.org/archives/7309>

April 6: SNAP webinar: An Introductions to ArchivesSpace and the ArchivesSpace Member Community<https://snaproundtable.wordpress.com/2022/03/10/an-introduction-to-archivesspace-and-the-archivesspace-user-community/> [cross posted on behalf of the Society of American Archivists Students and New Archives Professionals section]

April 29: Apply now for the ArchivesSpace Member Match program (applications due April 29)<https://archivesspace.org/archives/7339>

May 24: Webinar: Using ArchivesSpace to create EAC-CPF records (90 minutes)<https://archivesspace.org/archives/7243>

Development

We're working towards the next release, currently intended for May. You can always try out the latest development work on our test server at https://test.archivesspace.org/. Please note that items on the test server are works in progress.

LYRASIS, as the organizational home for ArchivesSpace, is excited to announce that Casey Rhodes has joined us as the ArchivesSpace Developer.

Casey’s experience working with complex legacy applications in similar domains, along with her extensive software development background will make her a welcome addition to the ArchivesSpace team and ArchivesSpace community.

Casey will be responsible for implementing features and fixing bugs identified and prioritized by the ArchivesSpace community. She will work in collaboration with the ArchivesSpace Technical Lead Brian Hoffman and others on the Program Team, code committers, the Technical Advisory Council (TAC), and LYRASIS IT staff.

Most recently, Casey served as a Senior Backend Developer at Deep Web Technologies (acquired by Amplyfi, Ltd.).  Before that she served as an Electronic Engineer at the Air Force Research Laboratory – Space Vehicles Directorate. Casey earned a Bachelor’s in Physics from the University of Rochester.

Casey officially joined the ArchivesSpace team on March 7th.

Please join us in welcoming Casey to the ArchivesSpace community!

Community contribution requested in the ArchivesSpace Inclusive Examples Project

The deadline for participation in the ArchivesSpace Inclusive Examples Project has been extended to Friday, April 1, 2022. We are particularly interested in receiving examples of the record types indicated with an asterisk in the list below.

In the wake of the George Floyd and Breonna Taylor murders, and in the spirit of protest that followed, the ArchivesSpace community began a conversation about what it could do to promote diversity and inclusion while combating systemic racism in our field. That continuing conversation has led to a series of initiatives<https://archivesspace.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/ADC/pages/1737261057> that we will undertake in the coming years, including an Inclusive Examples project<https://archivesspace.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/ADC/pages/3053748225/Inclusive+Examples+Project>.

For this important project, ArchivesSpace is delighted to be working with Brittany Newberry of Georgia State University to update the examples provided in its workshop materials and test databases. We want the examples to be more representative of the diverse institutions that use ArchivesSpace.

We are interested in adding examples from the ArchivesSpace user community. Below is a list of record types and collection types for which we are looking. In addition, we have created an agreement<https://docs.google.com/document/d/1TkNNuGKsb2BinuG-8HpJxMDrzCsNK9EP/edit?rtpof=true&sd=true> to provide information and expectations for how the data shared will be used.

If you are interested in participating, please email a signed agreement<https://docs.google.com/document/d/1TkNNuGKsb2BinuG-8HpJxMDrzCsNK9EP/edit?usp=sharing&ouid=100746195909280994463&rtpof=true&sd=true> and the records you'd like to share in one of the formats listed. Email ArchivesSpaceHome at lyrasis.org by Wednesday, March 23 [deadline extended to Friday, April 1] and we will forward your submission to Brittany Newberry for review. Feel free to contact us with any questions you may have.

Possible Examples:

Types of Records:

  *   Resource records (EAD, MarcXML, CSV, Excel spreadsheet)
  *   Accessions (MarcXML, Excel spreadsheet, CSV) *
  *   Digital Objects (CSV, Excel Spreadsheet)
  *   Subjects and Agents (MarcXML, Excel spreadsheet, CSV, EAC-CPF)

Types of Institutions/Collections

  *   Academic/University records *
  *   Corporate/Business archives *
  *   Government
  *   Religious *
  *   Non-profit/community
  *   Minority-serving
  *   Museum
  *   Public Library
  *   Historical Society
  *   BIPOC
  *   LGBTQ+
  *   Music/arts *

Data should be in a format that can easily be ingested into ArchivesSpace. Templates<https://archivesspace.org/using-archivesspace/migration-tools-and-data-mapping> are available for the record types where CSV or spreadsheet formats are indicated. Please contact ArchivesSpaceHome at lyrasis.org if you have questions about how to prepare your data.

SNAP webinar: An Introduction to ArchivesSpace and the ArchivesSpace Member Community

[cross posted on behalf of the Society of American Archivists Students and New Archives Professionals Section]

Join the SAA Students and New Professionals (SNAP) section on Wednesday, April 6, 2022 at 1:00pm ET/10:00am PT to learn about ArchivesSpace and the ArchivesSpace user community.

Christine Di Bella and Jessica Crouch will provide background on the ArchivesSpace archival information management system and sustainability model, the ArchivesSpace user community, and available resources to learn more about using and implementing ArchivesSpace.

To learn more or to register, visit the SAA SNAP website at https://snaproundtable.wordpress.com/2022/03/10/an-introduction-to-archivesspace-and-the-archivesspace-user-community/.

Webinar Announcement: Using ArchivesSpace to create EAC-CPF records (90 minutes)

The next ArchivesSpace webinar will be a 90-minute learning opportunity on May 24th at 2:00pm ET/11:00am PT led by Regine Heberlein, Library IT Data Analyst at Princeton University, and Christine Di Bella, ArchivesSpace Program Manager, demonstrating how to create valid EAC-CPF records using ArchivesSpace and offering some tips and tricks for making the process easier within your repository.

Originally scheduled for February 9th, this 90 minute learning opportunity has been postponed to May 24, 2022, at 2:00pm ET/11:00am PT.  If you’ve already registered for this webinar, your registration has been transferred to this new date.  If you need to cancel your registration, you can do so using the connection information provided via Zoom.