[Archivesspace_Users_Group] Agent Records with missing information

Benn Joseph benn.joseph at northwestern.edu
Fri Feb 11 15:01:01 EST 2022

Hi Nic,
This is a very timely question as we’ve been talking about the same thing here—basically we try not to create Agent records for names that cannot be established in the NAF. So for your examples below, we probably would not create an Agent record for those and would instead try to find another approach. If we did want to make an Agent record for creators like "Bro. Smith" or "Sister Jones”, we’d follow RDA rules where the honorific goes into the Title field (rather than DACS, which I’m not sure covers name construction). Here’s an example:

[cid:image001.png at 01D81F4F.AC40B970]

Cheers,
--Benn

Benn Joseph (he/him/his)
Head, Collections Services
McCormick Library of Special Collections & University Archives
Northwestern University Libraries
Northwestern University
www.library.northwestern.edu
benn.joseph at northwestern.edu<mailto:benn.joseph at northwestern.edu%0d>