[Archivesspace_Users_Group] Pruning temporary files?

Tom Hanstra hanstra at nd.edu
Mon Dec 12 12:46:29 EST 2022

Thanks, Andrew.

I was waiting for someone with a bit more experience with ArchivesSpace to
chime in on this. In my case, we have a number of old jruby directories
which contain a set of jar files. What should be cleaning these up?
Whatever it might be, it is missing doing that cleanup on my site.  I'm
curious how things are supposed to work.

As for cleanup, if the service is somehow not cleaning these up properly,
then my usual methodology is to have a cleanup script (or manual
intervention) come behind and delete everything which is a certain number
of days old. I would guess anything older than 30 days in that directory is
fair game for deletion. Do you see anything wrong with that?

Thanks,
Tom

On Mon, Dec 12, 2022 at 3:52 AM Andrew Morrison <
andrew.morrison at bodleian.ox.ac.uk> wrote:

> The tmp folder is used to store files which should be deleted
> automatically after the process that created them finishes, but that
> doesn't always happen. On the system I run, it has grown to 0.4G in four
> years, mostly files created during indexing. Some files are also written
> there during startup.
>
> So you should be able to stop the ArchivesSpace service, delete everything
> inside the tmp folder, then restart, although I've never done so myself.
> But first it would be worth investigating when the bulk of the 9.4G was
> created. If it has built up over time, the majority before the last
> restart, it is less of a concern than if most of it is new.
>
> Andrew.
>

> On 09/12/2022 00:27, Brown, Amanda wrote:
>
> Kia ora koutou,
>

> Our ArchivesSpace UAT has run out of space, and the information from our
> developer is :
>
> The space is mainly being taken up by temporary files created by the
> archivesspace app itself, eg:
>
> antbrown at ccc-dhr-uat-as1:/opt/archivesspace3/data$ sudo -u archivesspace
> du -hs tmp
> 9.4G    tmp
>
> Some of these files are used for running the app and it's not obvious from
> https://archivesspace.github.io/tech-docs/readme_implement.html which are
> safe to delete.
> If you were able to post to the mailing list asking which files are safe
> to delete in the data/tmp directory, we could write a script to make sure
> it's cleaned daily for example.
>
> Any suggestions which files are safe to delete in the data/tmp directory?
>
> Ngā mihi
> Amanda
>
> Digital Content Librarian | Digital Content Team |
> Christchurch City Libraries | Ngā Kete Wānanga-o-Ōtautahi |
> *https://canterburystories.nz/* <https://canterburystories.nz/>
>
> This electronic email and any files transmitted with it are intended
> The views expressed in this message are those of the individual sender and
> may not necessarily reflect the views of the Christchurch City Council.
> If you are not the correct recipient of this email please advise the
> sender and delete the email.
>
> <https://ccc.govt.nz>

*Tom Hanstra*
*Sr. Systems Administrator*