[Archivesspace_Users_Group] Restore from snapshot - which files?

Mark Cooper mark.cooper at lyrasis.org
Thu Aug 11 14:00:08 EDT 2022

Hi Sarah,

The database is the key piece. You should ultimately be able to reconstruct everything around that. Take a SQL dump of your ArchivesSpace database from the most recent stable restore point and keep that backed up while you work things out.

I'm not clear on what your situation is exactly but I can provide some general guidance:

Ideally you would find your ArchivesSpace config.rb file so your settings are ready to go. You would find this in the ArchivesSpace "config" directory. Likewise plugins, in the ArchivesSpace "plugins" directory.

The Solr index can be rebuilt. You don't need to restore. A normal range would be for this take from 10 minutes to a few hours depending on the size of your database. It can take longer if you have an especially large database and / or some non-standard configuration elements (record inheritance, plugins with search customizations for the indexer).

You don't mention your ArchivesSpace version but if you were running external Solr on the same host then you'll need to set that up again, or you may prefer to restore it depending on what options you have internally. However you should follow up with a full reindex if you do any permutation of restoring or retaining a pre-existing index just to be sure you're in sync with the restored database.

The easiest place to start would be to use the same version of ArchivesSpace as you were running recently. Run the database setup script first (to catch any potential version drift), then start ArchivesSpace as usual and review things carefully. Because your config and plugins (if any) are also coming, via the snapshot, from a potentially older version of ArchivesSpace than you were running you should review those in case you need to "catch up" on any changes.

Best,
Mark
LYRASIS