[Archivesspace_Users_Group] ArchivesSpace Update - November 2021

Jessica Crouch Jessica.Crouch at lyrasis.org
Tue Nov 30 15:39:45 EST 2021

   [cid:image001.jpg at 01D7E600.7FF2B540]

ArchivesSpace Update – November 2021

Development

ArchivesSpace 3.1.1 is now available. This patch release is primarily intended to fix an issue with reorder mode that was introduced in 3.1.0. It also addresses a few other smaller regressions in the staff and public interfaces. If you have not already upgraded to 3.1.0, we recommend going directly to this release.

More information about what’s in the release and the link to download it are at https://github.com/archivesspace/archivesspace/releases. Information on upgrading to a new version of ArchivesSpace is available at https://archivesspace.github.io/tech-docs/administration/upgrading.html.

If you have questions or need any assistance, please let us know. We are still working toward the end-of-the-year release that will change the deployment of ArchivesSpace to require external Solr.

More information about that move is available on our blog<https://archivesspace.org/archives/7135> and in the webinar<https://archivesspace.org/archives/7151> we held on November 3. Expanded documentation and a user tutorial will be put out in advance of that release.

Lora Woodford leaves ArchivesSpace

It is with regret that we announce that Lora Woodford has left her position as ArchivesSpace Junior Developer to take a position with a government contractor working on open source solutions. Her last day was November 19. She will be deeply missed by her fellow team members and the ArchivesSpace community.

In her nearly four years with ArchivesSpace Lora was involved in many different aspects of development for the application. A substantial amount of the code in every release since 2018 can be traced back to @lorawoodford, including key features such as container merging and expanded language support. She also worked on less visible but no less important technical improvements like formalizing the build process for releases, improving automated test coverage, and changing the way our technical documentation is generated.

In addition to her development work, Lora has been an invaluable resource for the ArchivesSpace community for years. Lora is the rare combination of an excellent developer and incredibly knowledgeable archival professional, and we have benefitted from her analytical mind and sharp insights time and time again. Her involvement with the Core Committers group even predates her joining the ArchivesSpace team, and her institutional memory of that group is unsurpassed.

LYRASIS, the Organizational Home for ArchivesSpace, will be working to fill this position soon. In the meantime, we will shift our development focus to some infrastructure-focused projects that are already underway. Feel free to get in touch if you have any questions.

We wish Lora well in her future endeavors and look forward to opportunities for our paths to cross in the future. Lora has promised us that this isn’t a forever good-bye as she aims to continue to contribute to the ArchivesSpace technical community when possible. We thank her for all she has done to make ArchivesSpace better.

Membership Update

We are excited to welcome our newest members to our community! Our new members since October 31st include:

  *   Dean College (Franklin, MA)
  *   Minnesota State University Moorhead (Moorhead, MN)
  *   Rensselaerville Historical Society (Rensselaerville, NY)
  *   Stephens College (Columbia, MO)

As of November 30, we have 459 General members, 21 Educational Program members, and 3 Registered Service Providers. If you are interested in your institution becoming a member of ArchivesSpace, please email us at ArchivesSpaceHome at lyrasis.org<mailto:ArchivesSpaceHome at lyrasis.org> for more information.

ArchivesSpace monthly updates provide news about ArchivesSpace community and program activities and are sent to our member listservs, the ArchivesSpace Google Group, and SAA’s Collection Management Section listserv, as well as being posted on the ArchivesSpace website. Please feel free to share this update with people you know who have an interest in ArchivesSpace but may not be on one of these lists.

Jessica Dowd Crouch
Community Engagement Coordinator for ArchivesSpace
jessica.crouch at lyrasis.org<mailto:jessica.crouch at lyrasis.org>
[page1image482511520]