[Archivesspace_Users_Group] Selecting Extent Dimension in the Top Container record rather than the Container Profile

Hand, Sarit shand at ap.org
Mon May 17 13:00:57 EDT 2021

Hello,

I opened this JIRA ticket back in 2019 requesting a feature update. It is currently closed unless there is community support for this. Perhaps in my original statement needs to be improved? https://archivesspace.atlassian.net/browse/ANW-882

I wanted know if there are any other users who would support development for this feature. I believe it would enhance usability, reduce human error and eliminate the need to have multiple container profiles for a container, i.e. a record storage carton or textile boxes.

As an administrator, I want to be able to select the Extent Dimension from the Top Container record. The Extent Dimension should not necessarily be determined in the profile record.

Mock up I suggested
[cid:image004.png at 01D74B1C.ACF7FDE0]

If we have to physical move a container and change its orientation, as it sits on a shelf, we would have to create a new container profile for the exact same container. One example, I used a document flip top box for an artifact that required the box to be laid on its back, changing its height and the Extent dimension, but it is the same exact document box, used for folders and files. Differentiating between container profiles is already difficult when creating a Top container given the limited descriptive fields in a profile record and then add to that having to figure out which profile to select if they are the exact same container only using a different dimension for the extent, for which you would have to open the profile to figure out. Currently, I create the Profile with very long Names to include dimensions and which dimension is used for the extent.
[cid:image002.png at 01D74B1B.0F74EC00]
(Descriptive fields in the Profile record is something I raised in a separate issue https://archivesspace.atlassian.net/browse/ANW-878 )

If there is a reason not to have the ability to select Extent in the Top Container record, I would like to know, for my understanding.

Thank you for your consideration

Cheers,
[cid:image007.png at 01D74B1C.ACF7FDE0]

Sarit Hand
Digital Archivist
AP Corporate Archives

200 Liberty Street
New York, NY 10281
T 212.621.7035

shand at ap.org<mailto:shand at ap.org>
ap.org<http://www.ap.org>
[cid:image008.png at 01D74B1C.ACF7FDE0]

The information contained in this communication is intended for the use of the designated recipients named above. If the reader of this communication is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that you have received this communication in error, and that any review, dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify The Associated Press immediately by telephone at +1-212-621-1500 and delete this email. Thank you.