[Archivesspace_Users_Group] Announcing The New School Bulk Updater

Wendy Scheir scheirw at newschool.edu
Wed May 12 12:19:22 EDT 2021

The New School Archives and Special Collections is pleased to announce a
fantastic new ArchivesSpace plug-in that allows batch editing of archival
objects. Using The New School Bulk Updater, it is now possible to edit,
add, or delete datafields in a spreadsheet. Developed by Hudson Molonglo
for The New School Archives, The New School Bulk Updater is an easy-to-use
tool that can be accessed in the Staff User Interface. Staff can use the
Updater to download a spreadsheet version of selected (or all) archival
objects from a resource record, to add, manipulate, or delete certain
fields in the spreadsheet, and then to import the edited archival objects
back into the resource, without losing or altering unedited data in the
resource. This easy round-tripping process significantly reduces
time-consuming labor. Further documentation is available on GitHib:
https://github.com/hudmol/as_spreadsheet_bulk_updater

We've only just begun to use this tool and are quickly discovering the many
ways we will be incorporating the New School Bulk Updater into our
processing workflows. Just a few examples include:

   -

   Searching and replacing title text.
   -

   Altering dates and date expressions.
   -

   Adding Conditions Governing Access notes and restriction dates.
   -

   Adding and changing instances, including creating serially-numbered
   folders using Excel's drag-down function.

We believe this Bulk Updater will be a game-changer for small and medium
sized repositories like The New School Archives. We'd love to hear the uses
you find for it!

All best,
Wendy

____________________________________

WENDY SCHEIR

director
THE NEW SCHOOL ARCHIVES & SPECIAL COLLECTIONS

66 FIFTH AVENUE, NEW YORK, NY 10011

scheirw at newschool.edu
<https://www.newschool.edu/email-signature-generator/robinsa1@newschool.edu>

T 212-229-2942