[Archivesspace_Users_Group] PUI indexing issues

Tom Hanstra hanstra at nd.edu
Thu Mar 18 11:24:22 EDT 2021

Dave,

Thanks for the suggestion, but unless there is some direct limitation
within Solr, that should not be an issue. My disk is at only about 50% of
capacity and Solr should be able to expand as needed. In my case, I don't
think there has been much addition to Solr because I'm reindexing records
which have been indexed already. So the deleted records are growing, but
not the overall number of records. My index is currently at about 6GB.

Any other thoughts out there?

Thanks,
Tom

On Thu, Mar 18, 2021 at 10:51 AM Mayo, Dave <dave_mayo at harvard.edu> wrote:

> This is a little bit of a shot in the dark, but have you looked at disk
> space on whatever host Solr is resident on? (the ASpace server if you’re
> not running an external one)?
>
> A thing we’ve hit a couple times is that Solr, at least in some
> configurations, needs substantial headroom on disk to perform well – I
> think it’s related to how it builds and maintains the index?  So it might
> be worth looking to see if Solr is filling up the disk enough that it can’t
> efficiently handle itself.
>

> --
>
> Dave Mayo (he/him)
>
> Senior Digital Library Software Engineer
> Harvard University > HUIT > LTS
>

> *From: *<archivesspace_users_group-bounces at lyralists.lyrasis.org> on
> behalf of Tom Hanstra <hanstra at nd.edu>
> *Date: *Wednesday, March 17, 2021 at 11:43 AM
> *To: *Archivesspace Users Group <
> archivesspace_users_group at lyralists.lyrasis.org>
> *Subject: *Re: [Archivesspace_Users_Group] PUI indexing issues
>

> - What really bothers me is the slowdown. That indicates to me that some
> resource is being lost along the way. Anyone have thoughts on what that
> might be?
>

> Just to follow up on my earlier post, I did get even lower numbers from
> Blake to try based upon what he used for our hosted account. But I'm seeing
> the same pattern in terms of slowdowns regarding the number of records that
> get processed/hour. Is this typical?  Is it just hitting records that have
> more work to be done? Or do I still have a resource issue.
>

> I note that the number of docs in Solr has not changed at all throughout
> the last couple of attempts, which again leads me to believe it has already
> handled these records (at least once) before and thus there is no more
> indexing to really be done with the records which it is running through
> the PUI indexer again. Which leads back to the "why does PUI indexing
> restart each time from 0" question. How does one add an enhancement request
> to have this reviewed and (perhaps) changed?
>

> Thanks,
>
> Tom
>

> --
>
> *Tom Hanstra*