[Archivesspace_Users_Group] Ruby SASSC issue affecting PUI (2.8.1)

philip.webster at sheffield.ac.uk philip.webster at sheffield.ac.uk
Wed Jan 13 07:56:32 EST 2021

Hi,

We're currently in the process of deploying ArchivesSpace 2.8.1 to our
production server following a lengthy period of testing and development on
some other servers. Strangely, the public user interface is failing to load
due to a Ruby dependency not being pulled in when the service starts up. The
dependency is SASSC, which is present in the gems folder within the
ArchivesSpace 2.8.1 installation.

An error message appears in the logs suggesting that SASSC isn't being
imported due to it not having native extensions built, and in turn that
causes a 500 error to be visible in the browser together with a stack trace
showing the root cause to be the missing library. I tried building the
extension using the native Ruby tools in our Linux distribution and found
that had no effect. After some lengthy investigation it turned out that the
development and test servers do not even have the native Ruby packages
installed, and that everything runs entirely through jRuby. That being the
case, I have no idea how to solve the issue with this dependency.

None of this is mentioned in the documentation, so I'm at a loss as to what
to do next.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks,

Philip Webster