[Archivesspace_Users_Group] Geographic creators

Olivia S Solis livsolis at utexas.edu
Thu Feb 25 10:20:33 EST 2021

Hi Kate,

Thanks for your reply! So yes, I have thought about creating both a
separate agent record just for e.g. Austin just so catalogers would be able
to add the creator of Austin because, as all users in this group know, only
agents can be creators in ASpace. I don't like this for many reasons:

It would violate cataloging standards.

   - Every authority source I have ever seen (VIAF
   <http://viaf.org/viaf/157089669>, LNCAF
   <https://id.loc.gov/authorities/names/n79007290.html>, FAST
   <http://fast.oclc.org/searchfast/?&limit=keywords&facet=all&query=Texas--Austin&sort=usage+desc&start=0#&single=fst01204313&fullview=simple&sep=click>,
   ...) considers Austin and its government a geographic term.
   - This is consistent with more elaborative cataloging standards that I
   have read, e.g. RDA which I quoted in my first email. I'm not a trained
   cataloger though, so if someone would like to correct me on ways of
   establishing a government of a geographic area as a corporate term in an
   authority list, please enlighten me.

It would wreak havoc on our taxonomy management.

   - This is particular to our institution, but I am the only one who
   enters subject/agent terms for our organization. This to ensure more
   consistent, standards-based use of terms, and so that we do not have e.g
   ten different ways of entering Hillary Clinton. If Austin changes its name
   to Keep Austin Weird, I only want to change it in one place, not both the
   agent and the subject record.

It would create a clickable wild west.

   - I'm not sure how much all staff and researchers make the distinction
   between Austin the government and Austin a geographic location.
   - So if someone is browsing around in the system and they want to get
   everything related to Austin, they might click on Austin the creator/agent,
   but miss out on all the resources that use the subject term. Or vice versa.
   Highly unsatisfying retrieval.

I am using Austin as the example, but my question can apply to any
government/geographic level (county, state, etc).

Thanks!
Olivia