[Archivesspace_Users_Group] Adding hyperlinks to other Resource records within Related Materials note

Corey Schmidt Corey.Schmidt at uga.edu
Wed Dec 8 15:17:55 EST 2021

Hi Ashley,

The closest documentation I can find that relates to adding hyperlinks to a resource note is the Using EAD Tagging, XML, Special Characters and Punctuation in Text Fields<https://archivesspace.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/ArchivesSpaceUserManual/pages/890208354> page in the Help Center, but it doesn't call out your use case specifically.

We here at UGA use the <archref> tag to link to other collections within our repository. However, we don't use the PUI, so I'm not sure how or if the PUI generates hyperlinks using the archref tag. Someone else here may be able to help with that, but my suspicion is the EAD3 schema examples for that tag might provide a clue on how to do it: https://www.loc.gov/ead/EAD3taglib/EAD3.html#elem-archref, specifically this one:

<relatedmaterial>
    <archref>
        <ref actuate="onrequest" show="new" href="smith_m">Mary Smith Papers</ref>

    </archref>

    <archref>
        <ref actuate="onrequest" show="new" href="smith_j">Jeremiah Smith Correspondence</ref>

    </archref>

</relatedmaterial>

Or if you're using EAD2002 schema, use this as a reference: https://www.loc.gov/ead/tglib/elements/archref.html. Anywhere the href attribute can be included may get you the hyperlink you're looking for. I was thinking if the PUI can add hyperlinks using local references, like using the id attribute to generate a hyperlink based on matching collection ids, that would be awesome and mean you wouldn't have to use the href attribute to post an actual link. BUT, I'm not sure how it works so that is probably a red herring.

Others on this listserv may be more able to help than I can.

Sincerely,

Corey

Corey Schmidt
Special Collections Libraries | ArchivesSpace Project Manager

Corey.Schmidt at uga.edu<mailto:Corey.Schmidt at uga.edu>

[University of Georgia]