[Archivesspace_Users_Group] Development plans for Digital Objects in PUI?

Christine Di Bella christine.dibella at lyrasis.org
Tue Dec 7 10:47:54 EST 2021

Hello Emily,

Getting a community discussion going about revisiting the digital objects module of ArchivesSpace is a long-term goal, but the program team is currently short-staffed and there is a substantial backlog of development that has already been prioritized through the Development Prioritization sub-team right now. While we work to phase in smaller improvements over time (including the two JIRAs you note that should be in the next release) I don't anticipate us being able to make more significant changes to this area of the application in the next year. We'll updating the roadmap (https://archivesspace.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/ADC/pages/2634973195/Roadmap+as+of+September+2021) soon.

You mention ArcLight as something you're considering for discovery. Particularly given UNC Chapel Hill's size and requirement for being able to hold description in draft before having it appear in the public interface that sounds like a good option to me. There are a number of ArcLight users in the ArchivesSpace community and a good body of community practice for it. If you haven't already, I'd recommend reaching out to users at Duke, the University of Michigan, and Indiana University, in particular, about their reasons for going with ArcLight over the ArchivesSpace public interface. You may also want to get a different thread going about it on this listserv.

Christine

Christine Di Bella
ArchivesSpace Program Manager
christine.dibella at lyrasis.org<mailto:christine.dibella at lyrasis.org>