[Archivesspace_Users_Group] Implementing a standalone Solr instance

Kyle Breneman kbreneman at ubalt.edu
Fri Dec 3 11:50:29 EST 2021

Here at the University of Baltimore, we are working to stand up our own external Solr installation in preparation for ArchivesSpace's move away from bundled Solr.  Campus IT is asking me whether or not we should install Solr on the same server we're using to host ArchviesSpace.  I see that ArchivesSpace officially has no opinion<https://archivesspace.org/archives/7137> on this matter (See under "Will you have strict requirements for how to deploy Solr?").

Does anyone on this list have a recommendation about whether an external instance of Solr should be installed on the same server as ArchivesSpace, or on its own separate server?  I don't see that it makes much difference, but I am also not experienced in managing servers, or in administering Solr.

Kyle Breneman
Integrated Digital Services Librarian
The University of Baltimore
kbreneman at ubalt.edu<mailto:kbreneman at ubalt.edu>