[Archivesspace_Users_Group] Digital Object Module Use

Trevor Thornton trthorn2 at ncsu.edu
Fri Aug 20 09:14:33 EDT 2021

We’re not using the PUI, so our specific implementation is probably not
that useful. Our finding aids are delivered via a custom Ruby on Rails app,
and the IIIF manifest is processed into a thumbnail viewer with this
Javascript:

https://github.ncsu.edu/ncsu-libraries/collection_guides/blob/master/app/assets/javascripts/thumbnail_viewer.js

The thumbnails link out to our main digital collections site, which uses
the Universal Viewer:

http://universalviewer.io/

which takes a manifest URL (like what you have in your DOs) and displays
the zoomable image, metadata, etc.

I did a little searching and found this presentation abstract:

https://iiif.io/event/2019/goettingen/program/29/

that mentions a plugin to embed the Universal Viewer in ArchivesSpace. That
led me here:

https://archives.collections.ed.ac.uk/repositories/2/digital_objects/179

Which doesn't look like it's actually using the Universal Viewer, but I
think it's doing something close to what you want to do.