[Archivesspace_Users_Group] normalized begin/end date display in PUI

Dan Michelson dmichelson at smith.edu
Wed Apr 14 06:21:47 EDT 2021

Hi Benn,

I think that's a great idea!  Ideally, we'd have a way for the format to be
customizable (e.g., day month year for European institutions, month day,
year for US institutions), but removing the ambiguity is more important.

Dan

On Tue, Apr 13, 2021 at 5:38 PM Benn Joseph <benn.joseph at northwestern.edu>
wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> For processing projects at our institution, we’ve pretty much reached the
> point of normalizing the use of the Harvard spreadsheet ingest module in
> ASpace, which is great! One result of doing this is that we now favor
> ingesting normalized begin/end dates almost exclusively, if possible, in
> order to make searching dates easier in the ASpace PUI (meaning we
> typically do not include a date expression unless it’s something that
> cannot be conveyed in the begin/end fields).
>

> But, is anyone else bugged by the way these dates display in the PUI?
> Here’s an example from something we have currently in process:
>

> It isn’t terrible, but it’s also not the easiest to read. In addition,
> DACS seems to discourage the use of ISO 8601 for the end user:
>

> *2.4.14.* For descriptions of a single item, record exact dates in a
> consistent and unambiguous fashion, preferably expressed as year-month-day,
> i.e. 1906 March 17 (it also says “Expression of dates as all numerals is
> discouraged due to the differing conventions in the order of information”,
> and what we have here is all numerals).
>

> We could certainly add a more human-readable date expression to each of
> these archival objects, but the sentiment here is that if we have good
> data, ASpace should be able to take ‘1935-03-19’ and display ‘1935 March
> 19’ (or whatever we like) to a user pretty easily without us having to do
> any extra work. But, before I file an enhancement request, what do others
> think about this?
>

> Thanks,
>
> --Benn
>

> *Benn Joseph*
>
> Head, Collections Services
>
> McCormick Library of Special Collections & University Archives
>
> Northwestern University Libraries
>
> Northwestern University
>
> www.library.northwestern.edu
>
> benn.joseph at northwestern.edu <benn.joseph at northwestern.edu%0d>
>
> 847.467.6581

Dan Michelson
Project Manager Archivist
Smith College Special Collections

Due to COVID-19, Special Collections is offering limited, remote reference
and digitization services and ongoing consultations for faculty, students,
and other researchers. Smith course support is our primary responsibility
at this time. All other requests and inquiries will be responded to as we
are able.

For information about Smith College’s response to Covid-19, please visit
the Smith College Libraries <http://bit.ly/SCLcovid-19> and Smith College
<https://www.smith.edu/student-life/health-wellness/coronavirus> websites.
For information about library services during this time, information is
available on our website.