[Archivesspace_Users_Group] ArchivesSpace Update - March 2020

Jessica Crouch Jessica.Crouch at lyrasis.org
Tue Mar 31 12:56:41 EDT 2020

[cid:image001.jpg at 01D6075B.D234C3A0]
ArchivesSpace Update - March 2020

It's an understatement to say that we are living and working through times that many of us never expected. We hope that everyone is safe and urge everyone to do whatever they need to keep themselves and their loved ones safe and healthy.

That said, we recognize that continuing to help the communities we each serve can be a balm when so much around us is different. If you'd like ArchivesSpace to factor into your plans in the coming weeks, here are some ideas for how ArchivesSpace can help you and you can help ArchivesSpace and each other.

(Please note that we're going to make every attempt to keep things rolling along, but keep in mind that the ArchivesSpace team is also adjusting to these new realities and changes in our personal and professional circumstances. Your patience and understanding with us and with each other is much appreciated.)

Brush up on your ArchivesSpace

  *   Catch up on training videos or work through areas of the User Manual that are less familiar to you in the new Help Center<https://archivesspace.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/ADC/pages/917045261/ArchivesSpace+Help+Center>
  *   Catch up on webinars you missed at https://archivesspace.org/using-archivesspace/webinars
  *   Catch up on videos in our YouTube channel <https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxR6D-UlSx6N6UWTeqHTjzA>
  *   Work on a data cleanup or data migration project

Get involved in the ArchivesSpace community

  *   Submit a proposal for the Online Forum <https://archivesspace.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/ADC/pages/966688804/ArchivesSpace+Online+Forum+2020>
  *   Post or respond to questions on ArchivesSpace or collection management-related listservs
  *   Write a blog post about how you use ArchivesSpace, past, present or future – contact Jessica (jessica.crouch at lyrasis.org) if you’d like to submit it for the ArchivesSpace blog.
  *   Record a screencast<https://archivesspace.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/ADC/pages/1126465545/Creating+a+User+Tutorial+Screencast> on a range of topics needed by the ArchivesSpace community
  *   NEW: Take a Break with ArchivesSpace – beginning Friday, March 20th, we will be hosting casual open calls via zoom (https://lyrasis.zoom.us/j/281962467) at 12pm ET each Friday while many of us work from home. Use this as a time to get help or talk about ArchivesSpace (or anything else) with colleagues in an informal setting.

Help improve ArchivesSpace

  *   Test and give us feedback on some new features using our test servers (username: admin, password: admin). These are works in progress and we’ll send more information about each of these features in the coming weeks.
     *   Custom reports: http://reports.lyrtech.org/staff/ – email us or leave a comment on https://archivesspace.atlassian.net/browse/ANW-761
     *   Bulk import: http://bulkimport.lyrtech.org/staff/ – email us or leave a comment on https://archivesspace.atlassian.net/browse/ANW-386
     *   Expansion of agents module: http://aspace-anw-429.lyrtech.org/staff/ – email us or leave a comment on https://archivesspace.atlassian.net/browse/ANW-429
  *   Suggest improvements to the User Manual
  *   Suggest improvements to the technical documentation <http://archivesspace.github.io/archivesspace/>
  *   Add to the Awesome ArchivesSpace list <https://github.com/archivesspace/awesome-archivesspace>
  *   Translate the labels in the ArchivesSpace interfaces into a different language (ask us how!)
  *   Assign yourself a Ready for Community Developer JIRA<https://archivesspace.atlassian.net/issues/?jql=status%20%3D%20%22Ready%20for%20Community%20Developer%22%20and%20assignee%20is%20EMPTY> . Learn more about this status from the 2019 Annual Member Forum presentation by Lydia Tang and Maggie Hughes at https://youtu.be/qK84vgmS66I
  *   Submit a pull request with completed code. Learn more about the process here<https://archivesspace.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/ADC/pages/39682053/Submitting+a+Pull+Request.>.
  *   Turn a plugin you created into core code<https://archivesspace.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/ADC/pages/916062227/Making+a+Plug-In+part+of+the+Core+Code>.

Please reach out to the ArchivesSpace team at ArchivesSpaceHome at lyrasis.org<mailto:ArchivesSpaceHome at lyrasis.org> for any help you need to get involved in any of these activities, and let us know if you have other ideas. We’re here for you and are really thankful for how those of us in our community are here for each other.

Call for Proposals Deadline Extended - Second Annual ArchivesSpace Online Forum

Mark your calendars for our second Online Forum! Taking place May 18-21, 2020, our online forum will be a four-day event spanning a variety of time zones and ArchivesSpace experience levels.

The deadline for both session proposals and ideas for topics has been extended to April 22, 2020.  Submit your proposal via our online form at https://forms.gle/jraN42zqrdQ3KQD97. We will be reviewing proposals on a rolling basis, so we encourage you to get your proposals in early.

As with our in-person forums, our Online Forum will include a mix of opportunities to share and learn from each other about many different aspects of ArchivesSpace.  The forum aims to span the many time zones of our community over the course of 4 days with a three hour block each day. Visit the Online Forum wiki<https://archivesspace.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/ADC/pages/966688804/ArchivesSpace+Online+Forum+2020> to view the schedule for each day.

Registration for the event will be released soon.

Upcoming Webinar: Integrating ArchivesSpace with Alma

April 8, 2020, 2-3pm ET (11-noon PT; 7-8pm GMT)

Visit the ArchivesSpace blog for details.<https://archivesspace.org/archives/5998>

ArchivesSpace is pleased to announce the seventh webinar in our series focused on Integrations with ArchivesSpace.  This webinar will explore current work being done by the ArchivesSpace community to integrate ArchivesSpace with cloud-based library services platform, Alma<https://www.exlibrisgroup.com/products/alma-library-services-platform/>.

Webinar description:

This webinar will be recorded and made available on the ArchivesSpace YouTube channel.

Kevin Clair, Digital Collections Librarian at Penn State University Libraries, will discuss the ArchivesSpace/Alma Integration Plugin he developed during his time at University of Denver.  In his current position at Penn State University Libraries, Kevin is the product owner for the cultural heritage digital repository, gathering functional requirements from end users and developing strategies with collection managers to ensure the repository is meeting the needs of faculty, students, and researchers. Prior to this he was the ArchivesSpace product owner at the University of Denver, where he did similar things with different types of content. In both roles he worked to facilitate moving data between library and archival management applications, to reduce the pain and suffering of technical services workers and improve the user experience for researchers.

Adrien Hilton, Head of the Manuscript Section at Harvard University’s Houghton Library, will discuss current workflows at Harvard for managing data in both Alma and ArchivesSpace and what she needs from an integration. Adrien will outline the preliminary work she’s done to gather use cases from other repositories. She hopes to build community support for future Alma/ArchivesSpace development work.  In her position at Harvard, Adrien oversees archives processing and manuscript cataloging. Prior to coming to Houghton, Adrien held positions at Columbia University’s Rare Book and Manuscript Library and New York University’s Tamiment Library. Adrien is an advisory member of SAA’s Technical Subcommittee on Describing Archives: A Content Standard.

Who should attend:

Anyone interested in integrating ArchivesSpace and Alma. This webinar will highlight the work already being done by the ArchivesSpace community on this integration with the goal of identifying other stakeholders and a path forward to make this integration more streamlined and robust.

Questions?

Contact Jessica at jessica.crouch at lyrasis.org if you have questions about this webinar or the Integrations with ArchivesSpace webinar series.

The eighth Integrations with ArchivesSpace webinar will be: Integrating ArchivesSpace and Arclight, May 12, 2020, at 2pm ET (11am PT).

The recording for our sixth webinar in the series, Integrating ArchivesSpace and ARKs, is now available on YouTube. <https://youtu.be/Rt_tZHb1kiA>

Introduction to ArchivesSpace Online Workshop

Thank you to everyone who registered for our upcoming Introduction to ArchivesSpace Online Workshop on April 6-7, 2020.  This workshop is currently full but we hope to offer more online training opportunities in the future.

In advance of the training, attendees will receive a copy of the workshop agenda with connection information, the workbook for the workshop and a link to other getting started resources.

If you have questions, please email us at ArchivesSpaceHome at lyrasis.org.

Take a Break with ArchivesSpace

Whether working from home for the first time, as remote working pros, or as onsite staff, most of us are doing our jobs under much different conditions than usual. As a browser based system you can access from anywhere, the ArchivesSpace application may offer a sense of archival normalcy as we each adjust. And with a welcoming and robust member community all over the world, ArchivesSpace can also offer camaraderie when many of us may feel isolated from our colleagues or the professional communities we interact with regularly.

Beginning Friday, March 20th, we will be hosting casual open calls via zoom at 12pm ET each Friday. We won’t be developing agendas or presentations for these calls. We just want to provide a forum and an opportunity to connect, chat and recharge. Use this as a time to get help or talk about ArchivesSpace (or anything else) in an informal setting or just have a beverage with other ArchivesSpace users during this stressful time.

When: Fridays

Time: 12:00 p.m. – 1:00 p.m. ET (9:00 a.m. – 10:00 a.m. PT)

Where: Zoom

Join the call via the information below:

Join Zoom Meeting

https://lyrasis.zoom.us/j/281962467

Meeting ID: 281 962 467

One tap mobile

+19292056099,,281962467# US (New York)

+13126266799,,281962467# US (Chicago)

Dial by your location

        +1 929 205 6099 US (New York)

        +1 312 626 6799 US (Chicago)

        +1 301 715 8592 US

        +1 346 248 7799 US (Houston)

        +1 669 900 6833 US (San Jose)

        +1 253 215 8782 US

        888 475 4499 US Toll-free

        877 853 5257 US Toll-free

Meeting ID: 281 962 467

Find your local number: https://lyrasis.zoom.us/u/awkFNWPxh

We seek to provide a welcoming, fun, and safe community experience for everyone and adhere to Code4Lib’s CodeofConduct4Lib. The full text of the code of conduct is available at: http://bit.ly/coc4lib.

Call for Nominations for ArchivesSpace Governance Groups

The ArchivesSpace Governance Board is seeking nominations to fill vacancies on three ArchivesSpace Governance Groups: the Governance Board, the Technical Advisory Council (TAC), and the User Advisory Council (UAC). Self-nominations and nominations by others are welcome.

Learn more about the calls for the different groups at:

  *   Governance Board<https://archivesspace.org/archives/5872>
  *   Technical Advisory Council<https://archivesspace.org/archives/5874>
  *   User Advisory Council<https://archivesspace.org/archives/5870>

Nominations must be received by 9:00 p.m. EDT on Friday, April 24, 2020. The Nominating Committee will review all nominations and recommend candidates and appointments to the Governance Board for their approval.

Please feel free to reach out to the members of the Nominating Committee or contact Christine Di Bella, ArchivesSpace Program Manager, at christine.dibella at lyrasis.org<mailto:christine.dibella at lyrasis.org> with any questions.

Save the Dates

Mark your calendars for these upcoming ArchivesSpace events!

  *   ArchivesSpace Western Archivists Regional Member Forum<https://archivesspace.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/ADC/pages/1058603307/Western+Archivists+Regional+Forum+2020> (Cancelled) - April 22, 2020, at the San Francisco Public Library in San Francisco, CA

  *   ArchivesSpace Online Forum<https://archivesspace.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/ADC/pages/966688804/ArchivesSpace+Online+Forum+2020> - May 18-21, 2020

  *   ArchivesSpace Annual Member Forum - August 4, 2020, at North Park University in Chicago, IL

  *   ArchivesSpace UK Regional Member Forum - December 9-10, 2020, at University of Oxford in Oxford, England

This list of events is for informational purposes and is meant to help as you plan your upcoming travel and professional development.  Calls for proposals, registration information, schedules and other information for each event will be announced and included on the wiki as planning commences for that event.

Membership Update

We are excited to welcome our newest members to our community! Our new members since February 29 include:

  *   Earlham College (Richmond, IN)
  *   Ede & Ravenscroft (Cambridge, England)
  *   University of Oklahoma (Norman, OK)

As of March 31, we have 415 General members, 20 Educational Program members, and 3 Registered Service Providers. If you are interested in your institution becoming a member of ArchivesSpace, please email us at ArchivesSpaceHome at lyrasis.org<mailto:ArchivesSpaceHome at lyrasis.org> for more information.

ArchivesSpace monthly updates provide news about ArchivesSpace community and program activities and are sent to our member listservs, the ArchivesSpace Google Group, and SAA’s Collection Management Tools Section listserv, as well as being posted on the ArchivesSpace website. Please feel free to share this update with people you know who have an interest in ArchivesSpace but may not be on one of these lists.

Jessica Dowd Crouch
Community Engagement Coordinator for ArchivesSpace
jessica.crouch at lyrasis.org<mailto:jessica.crouch at lyrasis.org>
[page1image482511520]