[Archivesspace_Users_Group] ArchivesSpace Governance Board 3rd Quarter report

Gordon Daines gordon_daines at byu.edu
Fri Mar 20 09:59:05 EDT 2020

Friends,

These are challenging times. Challenging times often bring out the best in us and I hope that these times are bringing out the best in you. Recently Russell M. Nelson, president of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, shared a message of hope with the world. Several lines in his short message (available here<https://www.facebook.com/russell.m.nelson/videos/199840471336927/>) resonated with me and I wanted to share them with you. He said "These unique challenges will pass in due time. I remain optimistic for the future....look for opportunities to help those around you near and far. We have the great privilege of ministering to our neighbors wherever they live." The ArchivesSpace program team and Governance Board are here to support you through these difficult times. Today will be the first "Take a break with ArchivesSpace" forum from 12:00-1:00 pm ET. You can join using this link https://lyrasis.zoom.us/j/281962467. This is an opportunity to be uplifted by your community. If you need to visit, please take advantage of this opportunity. We will get through this and we will be stronger for it. Below please see a report on the 3rd quarter ArchivesSpace Governance Board meeting

Gordon Daines

Chair, ArchivesSpace Governance Board
I am writing to report on the ArchivesSpace Governance Board 3rd Quarter meeting. While the meeting was originally scheduled to be held in person in Chicago, due to COVID-19 travel restrictions, it was conducted remotely on March 12th.
We reviewed the continued excellent work of the Technical and User Advisory Councils and thank the members for their dedicated participation. The operations update highlighted how the ArchivesSpace staff and software are well positioned to support the community given the recent COVID-19 outbreak.  ArchivesSpace can be accessed remotely and members can rely on it for continuing collections work while working from home. The new Help Center, updated manual and training videos are all available to assist the community. In addition, plans for the Online Forum continue, which will also enable community members to continue to connect with each other. The staff will continue to explore ways to support the community in this challenging time. The operations report also spotlighted various technical activities, including work to support accessibility.
Nominating Committee Chair John Wilkin reported on the committee's strong work in identifying and soliciting people interested in serving on our Councils.
Board members elected Sean Quimby, Director, Rare Book & Manuscript Library, Columbia University as the Vice Chair effective July 1, 2020. Sean is the representative for the Very Large membership level. He has been on the board since April 2019.  He will become the ArchivesSpace Governance Board Chair in July 2021.
The board approved an Affiliates program, a new category of affiliation for select membership and technology organizations that seek a more formal relationship with ArchivesSpace. For an annual fee, Affiliates will receive benefits such as a listing on the ArchivesSpace website, permission to use the ArchivesSpace logo, and eligibility to attend ArchivesSpace in-person events. The program will launch on a limited basis later this year.
The board also reviewed the results from a recent It Takes a Village Sustainability Assessment for ArchivesSpace and discussed recommendations to enhance sustainability around several facets, including ways to enhance diversity, equity, inclusion, and accessibility in governance and ways to expand the Educational Program membership category.
The board discussed the recent Strategic Community Discussion held to gather member feedback on strategic directions. Board members were pleased about the high level of participation in the discussion and agreed to continue hosting these discussions in the future.
I am very happy to report that the ArchivesSpace membership organization continues to grow at a steady rate. We reviewed the strong budget reports and approved a FY20-21 budget focused on continued growth and development.
The Board extends thanks to all of you for your continuing support and ongoing contributions to the community we have all created. We welcome your communications and comments at any time.

J. Gordon Daines III
Curator of Research and Instruction Services
Curator of the Yellowstone National Park collection
1130 HBLL
Brigham Young University
Provo, UT 84602
801-422-5821